Yeah passing on Kenobi, I mostly trust peoples’ reviews. I think part of what annoyed me with the CGI was actually I wasn’t entirely sure it was fake right away, so it felt like they were trying to pull something on me. If it was just some big dumb CGI alien I would still probably dislike it cause CGI is overused, but I wouldn’t be unsettled.
I actually agree with a lot of Clovis’s critique of movies–that IP movies and sequels have drowned out a lot of the industry and made it less interesting. I think he’s overstating the importance of Star Wars in the trend (it’s the same as McDonald’s for fast food, Levittowns for the suburbs, Facebook for social media, etc), and some other points. And I think it was inevitable with streaming that it would have come to this.
People seem way harsh to Clovis in this thread, to borrow a line from a 1995 original film.
With the exception of wookie I think it’s been a fair and interesting discussion.
I’d say it’s moved me a little from my earlier stance.
Clovis likes to be harsh and hyperbolic in his posting. He should be able to handle it thrown right back at him.
This is great, both true and intended to make itself look super important at the time. The fact that he made it Episode IV was likely a business decision. Sequels weren’t really a thing then unless you include the very loose early Pink Panther sequels and I suppose The Godfather, which has a story behind Coppola allowing it be called Part II, despite him being fiercely against that.
If Lucas doesn’t give it an Episode name, then it could just be thought of as a one-off. He was rolling the dice hoping it would be popular. If it was, he’d be able to make at least three more movies. He added to the genius strategy by making the next one V and Jedi VI. The problem was a 7 wasn’t coming and he apparently had no idea what the prequels were going to be. Maybe he would have done something better for those if Reddit existed in the 80s.
Don’t forget that the Episode IV thing was a retcon, too. The 1977 release had no such mention in the opening crawl and no sub-title, then ESB came out as Episode V, with the original adding “Episode IV: A New Hope” only when re-released in '81.
Which isn’t to say the original wasn’t positioned as potential franchise spawn (complete with the on-the-nose super convenient accidental escape of the big bad before he got blown up) while still working very well as a standalone film.
R1 was a 2 hour movie versus 24 or so hours for Andor, there’s so much more room for character development and world building. The Dune miniseries was much better than David Lynch’s movie.
Maybe some of these projects that would previously be mid-budget films are now developed into streaming shows.
Sure, it’s still possible to avoid a lot of the silly Star Wars tropes. The tone of Andor was very different than in R1 from the get go.
I’m not a Star Wars expert but I thought he added the episode 4 in the 80s after it was already a huge hit. Originally it was just Star Wars.
Star Wars episode IV: a new pony
lol I should have known I wasn’t going to beat you Star Wars nerds to the punch![]()
![]()
I don’t usually think about sound while watching TV, except for movies. I often can’t hear dialog clearly, to the extent that sometimes I have to have subtitles on.
Anyway, this post got me to try messing with my stereo receiver, which I very rarely use these days. The settings are confusing so I used AI to help with my subwoofer not seeming to work properly and sounding like shit and acting like it completely shut off at times. It’s nothing special, but I didn’t want to have to buy a new one. As it turned out, just moving the port so it was unobstructed seems to make a big difference for music. Going to try it on a movie tonight. I’m sure my neighbors will love it.
Thanks for the nudge.
It just means he was even more genius. ‘Hey George, we want to do a sequel. Can you add Episode I to Star Wars?’ He put IV instead and said it was a misprint but it’s too late to fix now. Allegedly.
Remember when Bea Arthur was in a Star Wars?
If this works out I expect an update in the Small Wins thread!
I went to stream “Inglourios Basterds” and noticed the sound wasn’t great. I popped in the blu-ray which led me to discover my DVD player was not working.
Seems unlikely. Empire was released while being called “Episode V” in 1980. “Episode IV” was added to the re-release of the original in 1981.
What do you think ‘allegedly’ means in the context of my entirely false story?
My favorite kind of review.