Sports LC Thread

Murphy has the bit between the teeth today :grimacing:

I’m sure he’s done other interesting interviews where he talks about his music and fine shoe collection, as he likes the Jazz style while drinking some fine wines.

The only reasons I tended to dislike him was his great play against the Scots as Murphy has one of the best cue actions in the game, can out score anyone and out play in the safety too.

Im sure I said earlier that he has the game to beat Selby and can frustrate him as much as he can frustrate others, Murphy knows that game and can also shoot it out with his cue action as once he gets going he’s capable of rattling off 5 or 6 frames NP.

I had to go out this morning and just got back, it’s absolutely freezing here atm so I hoping for a warm afternoon of snooker from the Murphy. :joy:

I disliked Murphy as he gave some interviews after his WC victory where he seemed resentful of having been seen as a surprise winner. Saying he’d been playing for years and was already established etc. It just seemed bizarre and a strange reaction to people actually liking him, and also daft given he was a qualifier and 22 and almost no one wins that young and after qualifying.

He was going for it earlier this afternoon, but if he keeps not actually making sizeable breaks after impressive pots then Selby will win with frames to spare.

Lots of high level competitors motivate themselves with “disrespect” narratives. Michael Jordan was the undisputed king of this approach.

Yup… Most took offence after that interview even if they were not fans of his, he’s matured though, the young arrogance sure showed in those days all told and if I’ve given Hendry a bit of leeway wrt the competitive nature of sports, I can give it to shaun too.

I probably wouldn’t be supporting him atm if he was not playing Selby, but I’ve come to enjoy his recent style & enjoyment of his game.

1 Like

Congratulations to Mark Selby for his 4th snooker title, great effort by Murphy too. :ok_hand:

1 Like

WTF

https://twitter.com/Zeekncashe/status/1392179006263513089

2 Likes

What I find really weird about this is that the press conferences are completely vapid and useless anyway. “How did it feel to lose your match?” “When you hit the ball and then it went out of bounds that was bad. Please comment.” “Do you attribute your success to determination or stick-to-it-edness?” Who gives a shit? How much money can the press be making on these stupid quotes that they can’t make by just writing a match report?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been puzzling over that. I figure it’s more the sports bodies making sure they have more content to sell, advertise on, and spoon feed to lazy journalists. So you absolutely could just have coverage without pointless interviews but if the pointless interviews are mandatory then there’s stories and clips from them for everyone to just use and no one has to think and maybe think, “I can’t be arsed to do more about tennis today”.

Two hours after Osaka’s announcement, Gilles Moretton, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) president conducted a press conference in which he read out a statement in French and English, calling Osaka’s withdrawal “unfortunate” and wishing her “the quickest possible recovery.”

He left without fielding any questions from the press.

4 Likes

Indeed. It’ll be interesting to see where the other players land on this. If they banded together they could get what they want. But I would expect the WTA to find some current and former players that think she should just tough it out and do the interviews, and the journalists will amplify that message in their own self interest.

My favorite response

2 Likes

I only recently started watching UFC and it’s weirdly the only sport where the press conferences are somewhat enjoyable to watch. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed to watch a NBA press conference, they are pointless.

The irony

2 Likes

Wow Syracuse lacrosse legend Gary Gait is switching from the women’s head coach to the men’s.

https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/1411671161797283842

“I wish Maria Taylor all the success in the world — she covers football, she covers basketball,” Nichols said in July 2020. “If you need to give her more things to do because you are feeling pressure about your crappy longtime record on diversity — which, by the way, I know personally from the female side of it — like, go for it. Just find it somewhere else. You are not going to find it from me or taking my thing away.”

This story was not nearly as juicy as I was hoping. I hung it up halfway through the NYT article.

So Tom Brady:

• Grows up in the Bay Area, where the 49ers win 5 Super Bowls. The Oakland A’s win a World Series.
  • Goes to Michigan, wins a national championship. The Red Wings win back-to-back Cups.
  • Goes to Boston for two decades, wins 6 Super Bowls. In this time, the Red Sox break their curse and win 4 World Series. The Celtics and Bruins both win championships too.
  • Goes to Tampa Bay and instantly wins another Super Bowl. The Lightning win back-to-back Cups.
1 Like

Its because he’s a Winner.

1 Like