Should healthcare be a human right?

The whole point of this thread is the philosophical discussion.

I think you are viewing this distinction as, well, too distinct! They blend at the margins.

If we assume life is a human right. As in you are protected from another person or the state killing you, it seems like a difference of degree and not kind to further argue, if your life is threatened by sickness no person or the state can deny healthcare.

Let’s leave aside capital punishment so as not to derail.

If the point of the thread is the theoretical discussion, then I will note that there are two different questions in the OP.

The first one stems from the conversation: “Is healthcare a human right?”

This formulation assumes that human rights have an objective existence outside of the law. For example, you could say that healthcare is a human right even though some governments do not guarantee healthcare.

The second version of the question is the name of the thread: “Should healthcare be a human right?”

Under this alternative, rights have no independent existence from the law or other social institutions. Instead, rights are created by institutions. So this phrasing of the question is simply asking whether some policy should be enacted.

Capitalists

coronavirus voted no

My wife and I just spent hours going over the options between my new job and the state’s health care options. Deductibles, oop expenses, coinsurance, etc etc etc. Its like taking a fucking test, and I’m an accountant.

When I lost my job to corona we got on medi-cal. One day I had to go to the doctor with chest pains. You know what I did? We stayed away during corona but when things got better we had to go to the dr. once or twice. Walked in, did the thing, got the labs, got the scripts. Didnt pay a thing.

This is what everyone else does in every other fucking country. They dont have to take a fucking test and figure out how many times they can go to the doctor before they pay 20% of their net pay for the year just to not die.

Fucccccckkkkk

4 Likes