RFC: throttling threads

Throttling threads is an insult to every user of this forum and goes against the spirit of what we have setup here.

Proposed rule: Moderators are not allowed to throttle threads.

That’s it. I look forward to passing this language in 3 days.

2 Likes

It’s natural that someone might ask why a user was banned. Except we wouldn’t need a new thread to ask why someone was banned if we didn’t have the moderation thread throttled. It would just be a question in the existing thread.

Or you could do like we used to in SE on 22 and just have a place where you record temp bans and the reason for them.

1 Like

Throttling is a solution that punishes everyone on the site for the offenses of one poster or a small number of posters. UP is the only site I’ve ever participated in that I’ve seen this used.

1 Like

seriously just did this.

meb, you’re not helping things.

I’m trying, I really am. Some of the stuff that’s been allowed to fester here is pretty toxic. And it’s easy to try to just blame it all on people who you feel have been disruptive to the forum. It doesn’t make it true though. Why does one person being disruptive in a thread mean we should all be punished for it? How many threads do we need to throttle before we realize it’s causing more damage to the forum and is the reason we have arguments spilling out all over the forum?

3 Likes

This has been discussed ad nauseum in the previous thread, and also answered. Continually bringing up the same shit isn’t helpful.

1 Like

I dont think any specific “side” or person is to blame for how bad the about section can be at times. But I don’t think more volume/posts will help.

I dont think content threads should ever be throttled, but it has worked here.

So we all came from a forum that was much larger than this and throttling was never needed, but we’re just supposed to accept that this is good moderation and not me being treated like I’m in middle school?

Fwiw, I am following the current rules of this forum to attempt to enact change that would be positive for this forum.

3 Likes

Worked to reduce the volume of posts for people casually browsing, yeah.

Failed to provide a facility for people to find out wtf they were banned for (mods often don’t do that in the mod actions thread),

I recently got a ban and the mod who banned me was unable to tell me in PM which post I was banned for. Would be useful to have that conversation in public.

1 Like

In the previous forum, people were just banned until they shaped up and laughed at by the mods if they complained. I still remember my battles with Tuq that he put an end to in that way. And yes I was being a little prick, and if there was the same tolerance for litigating modding matters as we have here, I would have done so endlessly.

2 Likes

I think throttling is one of the only things saving this forum right now. People need to cool down, including me sometimes.

1 Like

But can’t you see it’s having exactly the opposite effect?

1 Like

And I’m still ok with this happening here too. My point is throttling threads doesn’t even allow this interaction to play out naturally.

Call me crazy, but I successfully modded the largest and most popular 22 forum for years, so it’s not like I’m completely pulling ideas out of my ass here. Temp bans are a great tool IMO, especially when paired with taking the time to actually discuss with the user where and why you felt they crossed the line and trying to make actions in the best interest of the community. People who provide value shouldn’t be run off at the end of the day.

Operating in this way also means the forum will eventually turn on you or you’ll eventually burnout, whichever comes first. And that is why I’m trying to push through mandatory breaks. A mod empowered to do what is best for the forum can’t be on 100% of the time.

I have zero ulterior motives other than trying to keep a group of people together who I find interesting on the same forum.

1 Like

I will volunteer in the future, but I’m entering a time of year where I won’t be available to the level I’d want to commit to due to work obligations.

2 Likes

Who does own this place, in your opinion? The mods? Lol

1 Like

No, all of us and we choose to be modded via a representative democracy for which you have already made your disdain for quite clear.

The forum isn’t a monolith.

Sometimes, it feels like people are trying to make this happen.

Honestly, even though I believe you may have just said it offhandedly and had no idea it would cut so deep, that does seem like one of the worst things you can say, its brevity and simpleness all the more cutting, to a person with self-esteem issues. And could easily see how PC felt it the way he says he did.

2 Likes

It’s a gross PM to send to someone who’s been open about their mental health issues.

He should’ve had the balls to post it in public and eat a long ban.

1 Like