RFC: Find a new admin

Exactly. If people start complaining that they still haven’t been perma’d or their name hasn’t been changed yet or w/e just tell them to go and get a life and you’ll get around to it sooner or later.

Probably just having a very bad few weeks at work compounding things

Most likely not gonna stop posting here. I just have ran out of hope.

5 Likes

I nuke every new mod thread from orbit so I have no idea what drama goes on in them. But from the threads I watch everything seems more or less copacetic and the mods are doing a good job.

I think the mod threads could be a big chunk of the problem. They’re like Stack Overflow meta. No one should ever go there.

6 Likes

You’re probably also bringing some of the professional work standards into here, which is natural and hard to switch off from, but you’re not getting paid here, owe no one anything and nothing terrible can happen if this place goes down for a few hours or even a day.

Yes, this was my mistake. I don’t really know how not to do that. There’s been things I’ve been lazy about that I constantly kick myself over and feel bad about, and it doesn’t need to be like that, but for whatever reason for me it just is.

9 Likes

jmakin is stepping down for literally the exact same reason I stepped down. It is close to impossible to take on all the responsibility of being a site admin without also finding yourself obligated to pay attention to all the stupid shit as well.

This is why I have from the very beginning strongly advocated for minimizing and deescalating all the stupid shit, in no small part by shipping most of it off to some back corner where it doesn’t snowball and metastasize across the rest of the site. That suggestion has been repeatedly ignored and at times actively resisted. I guess it’s better to constantly lose admins so a handful of drama queens can scream at each other on the front page.

10 Likes

The other thread got locked while I was typing, so I’ll put it here instead:

I can’t say you’re wrong about everything that’s frustrating you, but even though I basically agree with you about all of it, I do hope you nonetheless reconsider resigning. :worried:

ETA: just saw the relevant “need a new admin” thread where this post would belong, I guess, but anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for the input & time put in JM, you’ve been great for the admin job, sorry to hear it got the better of you as it would I.

:wave::wave:

2 Likes

Have you guys decided to give me full banhammer priveledges yet?

Cause Ill drop the hammer

1 Like

:exploding_head:

That seems like important information that should be communicated very clearly to ever user.

No one is reading anyone’s pm’s (can look at the logs of whos viewed what) and I feel it has been stated numerous times that we had this capability and I reminded everyone to use encrypted pm’s a month or two ago.

so if i turned on that passphrase encrypted pms admins can’t see them or can?

Encrypted PMs go straight to the NSA.

2 Likes

They can not. It is real end-to-end encryption.

And if an admin did start reading your non-encrypted PM’s, the logs of that would be visible to both other admins and every moderator as well. So while an admin can access them, they are unlikely to get away with it for long.

1 Like

It’s kinda hot knowing that the mods are sneaking peeks at the dick pics I’ve been sending Beetlejuice.

16 Likes

Only admins have access, not mods.

They cannot

Is it possible to have multiple admins who share the load and one generic “admin” account that they all have access to? What if no one outside of the admin team knew 100% for sure who had access to the admin account and they only dealt with technical issues?

No. There have been many variations of the “just do the technical stuff” suggestions, and they all fail to appreciate that there is going to be exactly one person with their actual name on actual accounts, and that person is ultimately going to be responsible for everything. As such, that person is obviously going to pay closer attention to everything that goes on with the site.

And as the only other person who has ever done that, I can assure you it it annoying as fuck to inevitably get sucked into all the never ending drama bullshit.

There isn’t a technical solution. This community either stops making being an admin such a shitty job that literally nobody wants to do it (including every single person who ever has), or this community will always struggle to find somebody willing to fill the role.

1 Like

I enjoy this community, so don’t want to see it fail. I’ve also mostly ignored the forum drama.

Is there a reason we can’t have multiple admins?

What are examples of the things you get pulled into as admin that you don’t want to be pulled into?