Request for Comments: Selecting Moderators

Yes, but baking in “minority rights” in the form of mod term limits may be an important step in minimizing forum drama (obviously the issue is more complicated than that).

1 Like

How so? Mods don’t normally vote on what to do or stop other mods from doing anything. What does a “minority” member get out of “representation”? Just the hope that there will be punishment directed at their enemies? (I think that’s part of it, but don’t really respect it).

If I felt persecuted by a mod (and I don’t think the mods have persecuted anyone) I would not expect that having a friend as another mod would help in the slightest.

Aside from the obvious counter-examples, the fact that 6-month terms are beating out indefinite terms 51% to 43% in the relevant poll makes some of the takes just lately a bit strange imo.

4 Likes

I’m not really fan of the Roman Hruska school of mod selection.

Selecting mods is the flip side of removing mods and term limits (in both senses) is a procedural way to make that happen. There’s sort of a weak form and a strong form. From a “veil of ignorance” perspective, both may be compelling.

People seem to harbor longterm hostilities against posters who’ve never been mods, so I’m not sure why a poster no longer being a mod would necessarily imply a cessation of hostilities. We’ve also seen posters become newly hostile the moment a new mod enters the fray, so I’m not sure why redirecting animosity at a new target is a better outcome.

No mods have any more power in this than any other poster.

I thought we voted for Chad to be mod and it was pretty much unanimous?

2 Likes

A lie

3 Likes

My nomination of Chads was premature and not part of a more orderly system that respects all people who may wish to be mods. This is an attempt to rectify that. I think we’ll get Chads as mod by a widely accepted process rather than a free for all of nominations.

1 Like

Didn’t the keed thread get closed? This is all really hard to keep up with.

I don’t get to pick the standards or the process. The community does. I only started the discussion.

No, it’s a lie because you’re fucking lying:

It is no secret that I made the OP. Anyone can see that. Literally anyone can start an RFC, and that doesn’t exclude mods.

Mad? lol.

Of course whosnext wasn’t lying, since he wasn’t willfully misrepresenting me and accepted my clarification.

Not posting for three weeks is a temper tantrum? This is amazing.

Sure. Keeed made a mockery of our lack of processes and frequently acted in bad faith throughout.

1 Like

No one is shelving making chads a mod and Wookie is doing more than anyone to set up an orderly process for electing new mods.

What part of:

didn’t you understand?