Request For Assistance: Debate with a group of Trump Supporters Who Are Actually Capable of Critical Thinking

5x5. Quantity of examples is not the issue. Weaving it all together is my bigger issue.

Update: Debate was cancelled after lead deplorable posted that the Buffalo protestor situation was a “setup”. Then he proceeded to textually attack some mutual college friends who are attempting to work through understanding racism. I accused him of punching down and in general, being an asshole. I should have taken a better line, but we are now unfriends and I’m feeling ok with that.

3 Likes

I hope Trump is voted out in November. I’m running out of friends. :slight_smile:

Would’ve been a waste of time given his thought that a 75 year old man getting pushed to the ground was a setup.

2 Likes

Stop trying to win debates. Best approach is exposing the racism in as few steps as possible because it’s always racism. I like to think of it as the classic game show Name That Tune where two players bid for the fewest number of notes needed to name the tune, except the game is Name That Racist and I’m trying to play it as well as FlyWf. Bonus points if you can get them to say the craziest shit they think but don’t always say out loud like conspiracy theories or just straight up calling people n******.

2 Likes

usually with people that seem like lost causes my only response is “wow”.

There is so much power in that little word. Conveys my message perfectly, lets lurkers know how stupid the comment I’m responding to is, and puts the original commenter on defensive because they know exactly what I mean, as well. Usually they’ll end up hanging themselves trying to respond to my “wow”.

3 Likes

Pretty much exactly what I do. Eyebrows go up. Say “Wow.” Walk away.

1 Like

If you ever talk to them again, I would just point out that he has three major crises facing him right now and he’s not doing anything about any of them. And he’s up for re-election. So if he’s doing nothing now, he’s not going to fix the problems after he’s elected. He’s only going to make them worse.

He can’t even get us on the same page about wearing masks to help arrest the pandemic. He’s only going to make racial tensions worse. And his only answer for the economy is to “turn if off and turn it back on again”. Kinda like a bad repairman. And again, this is while he appears to have incentive to fix all of these things. Voting for him again just means they want to burn it all down. Just so they know.

1 Like

I’ve found that “Kaepernick” and “reparations” are very powerful words.

1 Like