Proposed ad policy for Unstuck (with Poll)

I didn’t appreciate this aspect of it when I voted–I was focused more on the free rider problem than the “TL3 but willing to view ads as a contribution to the site” scenario.

It seems like most parties agree that this is a good solution, so I’ll remove my “no” vote–though do want to reiterate that I think those that put labor into this site deserve compensation for that labor, and still feel that ads are a reasonable way of acquiring those funds.

Edit: it seems you can’t delete votes, only change them, so I’ll still be appearing in the “no” column.

Maybe a mod/admin can edit the original post to include “abstain” or something.

Bumpppp

Fuck me this is more complicated than Brexit.

Hoping it doesn’t lead to zzexit.

While I’m in the About Unstuck section, might as well drop a hot take here as well…

It seems like no decision was made here? I’m using an adblocker so I can’t see if we are currently having ads.

Anyway, I have mostly-serious counter proposal for ad policy, that’s really simple.

• We have ads via whatever network you guys have been experimenting with.
  • All proceeds from the ads go directly into zikzak’s pocket, UNTIL
  • Some defined date (I suggest the end of the calendar year), when we take a look at where we’re at and decide if any changes need to be made.

Easy peasy. No brainer, really, right?

Not really and that’s the last thing zikzak wants.

Well, what the heck does he want then? He’s posted at length about the amount of work he’s put into the site, and continues to put into the site, and I thought he wanted some compensation? What’s the problem with throwing a few bucks in his pocket?

It’s the “directly” part that’s the problem. He wants another person to hold the keys to the money, he wants everyone doing the work to submit requests for compensation, he wants requests and funding to be transparent, he wants broad approval and acceptance of the process, and he doesn’t want to be called an “owner” or a “Stalinist” in the process.

1 Like

:arrow_up: Yes, this.

eta: I’m perfectly fine with everything as it is right now, and I think(?) this proposal is going to be considered passed at some point soon. So if the status quo is tolerable we can just leave everything alone imo.

Okay, great. I don’t think the proposal above actually speaks to what happens with the ad money, though, does it?

To be clear, I’m totally fine with what I understand to be the situation, which, including this proposal would be something like:

• The site uses an ad network to generate revenue.
  • People are allowed to opt out of seeing ads by getting themselves in the group proposed above, and/or by using adblock software.
  • The account the revenue goes into is controlled by a treasurer-like role (currently occupied by Spidercrab). (P.S. Did you guys get access to this account straightened out?)
  • People who have done or are doing work on the site submit requests for cash to the treasurer [ directly? | via the thread? ].
  • The request is approved [ by the treasurer? | after discussion in the thread?].
  • Treasurer ships the cheeseburgers.
  • This situation is “for now” with no defined end date. (?)

Is that accurate?

Yes. And since the community is already spending this weekend tearing itself apart in another thread, I’m going to ask that we please not pick at scabs in this one and just leave it alone.

Opening an old wound…just saw an ad for the fucking CIA. Any other cite and that would have me thinking of leaving.

1 Like

Site should be provided as a public service and take in donations only enough to fund the hosting and thats it. No ads at all.

1 Like

I can block advertisers, but I need the URL. If it’s not on the ad itself it’s usually buried somewhere in the obnoxiously long link, which you can just send to me as plain text if you don’t want to hunt for it yourself.

Pitch in 5 bucks on Patreon and then join the no ads group imo.

Cool. Will do if/when I see it again.

Deciding that zikzak and others should provide this site as a public service, do all the work and never even get a chance to make a single cent is a bold idea.
Are you willing and able to do zikzak’s job in case he decides to quit?

1 Like

Since grue is a professional programmer who has a side job managing a much much more complicated platform with (I think) a lot lot lot more active users, I’m pretty sure he’s able at least.

Eta: I think it’s good for people to get paid for the work, but I think donations >>>>> ads at least unless we are carefully choosing the ads.

1 Like

The value of the work they’re doing far exceeds what they get out of it

1 Like

For my part, I’m no longer troubled enough to object. If I see the CIA ad again, I’ll send zz the link. If people don’t want to see ads, they can use an adblocker.