Programming

i’m in step 5 of the old process. a hiring manager just muttered something about the new process thing in passing.

1 Like

I’m at step 0! Applied for 2 jobs with a referral link 5 days ago, haven’t heard a peep. I’ll probably blow it anyways but :man_shrugging:

Yeah but in the case of algorithm whiteboards - “egalitarian” just means your pool leans young, with plenty of free time to study leetcode, and more likely to be a computer science grad. You’re trading one kind of filter for another. How many single moms have 3 months to grind leetcode?

Plus I’m talking about senior dev positions where someone has already been in the workforce for a while. You’re not going to solve the problem of female/non-white/Asian programmers struggling to break into the business at this level. Either they’re already in or they aren’t.

One of the sharpest devs I’ve ever worked with was a woman from Hong Kong. But she’d get incredibly nervous in any kind of social situation and would bomb interviews. She would never make it past a whiteboard-intensive interview. But if someone took a chance based on my recommendation, I know they’d be thrilled with what she can do.

That’s one nice thing about the corporate jobs I’ve had, very very diverse - all walks of life, lots of first-generation immigrants, young, old, married, gay, etc. The consultancy I worked for was all white guys in their 20s. Most boring job I ever had. All they ever talked about was Star Wars, gaming, Lost (the TV series), superhero movies, and boring-looking sedans with like 700 horsepower. I stopped going to lunch with them because I couldn’t take it.

Anyway - those guys would probably all ace whiteboards and pass “culture fit”, while even the best of the diverse corporate coworkers I’ve had probably would not for one reason or another. One Mexican guy I used to work with made it all the way through to the end of Netflix process and got rejected at the culture fit stage. Great dev. Nicest guy in the world. Fucking ridiculous.

Basically I’m just bitter because I went from never having an interview and not getting the job when I was younger, to having tons of interviews at startups and only one offer (from the university I work at now) when I was 49.

I knew I was walking into those interviews with two strikes against me and figured I needed to absolutely ace the whiteboard to have a chance. Nothing like trying to come up with some creative solution when a game show clock is ticking in your head the whole time. Totally simulates the job conditions for a programmer.

I wish more companies would offer something like a 3 month contract. I’d jump at that. You know after 3 months if someone’s good or not. Usually it only takes a few weeks. I’ve had two contract jobs that turned into full time when the 6 months ended, including the current job.

I use modulus way more often than that, probably depends what domain you’re working in. The most common use case is just whether an integer is even or odd. I also think using modulus is a reasonable marker for someone who thinks about how to do something elegantly and clearly, rather than nailing expressions together haphazardly.

Speculative, but you can imagine a hire as a package consisting of a basically interchangeable JSON-manipulator plus a lottery ticket on getting a wizard who will invent React or something. You can’t directly observe wizardliness, but you can at least screen for “is plausibly a wizard” by requiring the ability to learn a bunch of algorithms and regurgitate them on command. This would also explain why lots of engineers talk about how they don’t really work that hard: the JSON-wrangling part of the job is just spinning your wheels while everyone waits for you to manifest wizardhood.

Question for those in the field, my wife wants to ultimately move down the coding path and currently works as a systems analyst, but has been offered a job as a sales engineer within the same company. Obviously the engineer title sounds promising, but what we dont know is if that title will be something that looks good for someone whos ultimate goal is software engineering or is this going down a different path?

YMMV but I doubt sales engineering is any closer to a software engineering career path than system analyst. That said:

• Titles vary everywhere
  • Sales Engineer could be a good role on its own

First technical interview for me in 4.5 years tomorrow wish me luck! For a “staff” role too. Will report back with how many BFS/DFS/linked list/binary tree questions I blow for this reactjs job. My guess is true.

7 Likes

I have worked for the same software company for 15 years. My current role is tier 3 technical support. I am almost done with a software engineering degree based in Java from an online university. I honestly haven’t had to code a whole lot until this most recent class. Recently I got voluntold to work on the coding for small utility program we have written in C#. Guess it’s time to Udemy some C# courses loll. I have one more android app class to to code in. That’s it. But I suspect other bachelor degrees don’t have much more actual coding either.

2 Likes

Just one last question: “How do you see yourself?”

I got that at one of my interviews a few years ago. Of course the answer is perfectionist workaholic who’s modest to a fault and possibly just cares too much about pleasing people.

Based on what I’ve read in this thread, I’d absolutely pay for a live stream of this if such a thing were possible.

I’m not sure how to interpret that!

Here you go guys - 2p2 hiring programmers.

“We see a real prospect of turning 2+2 into a popular Social Network that can be scaled onto other highly specialized communities.”

Lullllz

2 Likes

I get $1k if any of you are hired.

Job is in Canada?

If they can sponsor someone for a work visa, I could see someone taking it for that alone.

who are the new owners?