Programming

Maybe the thing is that this isn’t really “main”, it’s all development. No harm can be done. There is a live production thing, but we’re not touching that atm.

No production version yet is a different story. But do you at least have a development environment that you’d rather not break? Or is this all front end code?

I still don’t understand how these devs wouldn’t want to review your work first as the new guy. Are they looking at your commits if you don’t ask them?

It’s front and back. Breaking it would not be a big deal at this point. There are only two people working on it (mostly just me) and a third consulting.

I designed the git process for our team and it is based (or nearly copied) from git flow:

Yeah, I think so. I’m pinging the guy I’m working with every time I push though.

Pretty sure that should be Release 1.10.1 if following semantic versioning, but that’s not the point you were trying to illustrate anyway.

1 Like

We don’t do releases. So devs do pull requests to merge anything into the develop branch, which CICDs into the develop environment.

Then we have stage, pilot, preprod and prod branches which CICD into their own environments (preprod and prod are on different aws accounts). I do all the merging for those which basically amounts to pushing the latest to whichever environment. Occasionally I will do a hotfix branch straight off prod.

Feature branches just create cruft for the way we work 95% of the time. Mostly devs are just doing a pull request into develop when they have something ready, so it’s easier for them to just keep one personal dev branch going. But feature branches do come in handy when we want to keep something separate as we don’t know if its ready, and to help devs share work on it.

just sad how much of industry trust is based on pedestals anyways, but this really is going to screw with a lot of upcoming anti-trust coverage.

Fuck Stallman

1 Like

I got a gig. Contract is 3 months, but I don’t think the project will take that long. There are 3 people on the project. One is just consulting. One is mostly consulting. I’m doing most of the work.

Afaict so far everyone is smart and excellent to work with.

2 Likes

It’s still an orange flag to me that they’d just let you commit whatever and check it when they get to it. And I’m def more relaxed than nitty about this kind of stuff. But as long you get paid and they are happy it’s cool I guess.

FWIW our setup is the same as @Vict0ar’s and I like it. I’m a frequent committer I’d say - most (actual programming) days I commit like 7 times, but on really productive days or if I’m “designing” / finding new problems on the go (like I said, we’re pretty relaxed) I can go up to 30+.

But this also includes merge commits, so on the very high days I would have probably also merged a couple of other dev’s branches at 1 commit each.

ETA: Although I try to never commit something like “work in progress” and always write something meaningful - either what I just did, of if I need to leave and pick up later, at least do a “WIP: updating products works again, tax calculation still broken, check some_method” or something

1 Like

My incoming pull request has hundreds of 1-3 line commits because it’s terraform code and every time i make a small config change I have to commit and then test it in jenkins. Kind of annoying. So if I make a typo or some other error it’s another commit.

https://kosgd.medium.com/datetime-changes-in-python-4-0-474045337b99

1 Like

Python is going to have backwards incompatibility for the sake of neutrinos? Ok, nbd. Might mean some work for me in the future.

it’s april’s fools but it’s also funny because it’s just so python

God i hope they dont do in python 4 what they did when they switched from 2 → 3. That is/was a disaster.

d’oh

1 Like

I didn’t really start doing python until 3 and all the people I was listening to were extremely pro-3. I guess it kinda tore the community apart a bit though and maybe that was why the founder dude (Guido I think) stepped back?

Breaking backwards compatibility with something as fundamental as a print statement is a decision that still boggles my mind. I still type it in the python 2 way all the time.

This is a good article as to WHY they changed print, but I still don’t understand why they couldn’t just leave the old one as well. Seems very authoritarian.