Programming

Congrats, that is impressive

Not really, but thanks. I have a friend who is one of the partners there. He did abstain from voting on selecting me and I was interviewed by the other partners, but it was a very friendly interview. It’s who you know.

That’s how I got my job - connections. That’s how it just works sometimes.

They obviously think you’re capable though.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/markzabaro/status/1365926978071707650

4 Likes

Hmm. Wonder if I can set that up in intellij/VS

Gcp is so so much better than aws. Right now I am converting a bunch of terraforms from gcp to aws provider. Something that should be simple like creating a firewall rule is extraordinarily complicated in aws. Like in gcp there’s literally a resource called firewall and you specify what ports you want to open and define your source ranges. Apply it to your compute instance or cluster. Boom done.

Not so in aws -to do the same thing properly you gotta create a vpc, subnet(s), route table and routes, a gateway, and finally a security group where you define your port ranges and source/destination traffic. Even within that you gotta define multiple ingresses and/or egresses. Just ridic.

Aws ui also sucks in comparison. Their documentation sucks. Everything about using aws sucks for me. In my next job I am going to make 100% certain I am working exclusively with non-aws providers, preferably google. I hate this shiet.

I have a react problem that feels like it should be pretty standard:

1. User submits login information, we throw up loading screen.
  2. User has logged in successfully or not - we direct them to appropriate page.
  3. The page the user lands on then tells the loading screen to turn off.

It’s #3 that’s bugging me. I’d rather every page not have to tell the loading screen to turn off. But if we turn it off before redirecting the user, they see the logon page again for a brief moment, which isn’t ideal either.

Anyone else run into this? Is there any way w/o messy inheritance to have a bunch of route components just know to turn off the loading screen? I guess they could all dispatch to redux when loaded. But that’s still code I have to add to every page.

I was thinking maybe send them to a blank page, then turn off the loading screen, then redirect to the correct page. But that seems like a lot of cruft for this simple problem.

If its a hard 302 redirect don’t disable the loading page. If its a SPA react redirect why not just fire the redirect at the same time you dismiss the loader? It should be a 1 line redux function and should be instantaneous right?

When I say redirect I mean history.push() not send 302.

I do fire the redirect at the same time as dismissing the loader. But it seems like sometimes you still see the old page from before the new page loads. But that might have been something else screwed up. I’m totally overhauling the loader right now and it’s a mess. Many years of stuff layered on by different devs.

I guess redux does essentially this, but passing a redirect function as a prop isn’t that hard. And you can probably do this in redux (I haven’t tried any redux), but send a function down to the children and the children can decide where they want a redirect to go.

So, the project I’m doing looks like it’s going to be a rewrite instead of just fixing a .NET site (the only significant stuff they had was the html) and it’s going to be Ruby on Rails. I’ve never touched it. Going to be on Heroku, which I’ve also never touched - before yesterday. I took all day and then some figuring out how to get my windows machine running rails (gotta be on linux subsystem) and get it all so something can go to git and be brought from git and build on heroku and work. But then after lots of devops struggling, holy shit, it took like 10 minutes to get a working user login session log out forgotten password working. You install some shit and then you type 3 god damn lines and it works.

Does anyone here do rails?

At the command line you type:

rails g migration AddUserRefToProducts user:references

And it adds a “user_id” column to the “products” table and makes it a foreign key. There’s not even a “user_id” column in the “users” table. (well you have to “rails db:migrate” to make it actually happen)

Seems crazy.

Is that “Ref” part of “AddUserRefToProducts” required to be exactly “Ref”? Is there a word for how rails parses these things so I can look up a list of all the possibilities and how to write them?

Crazy how rails adds plurals on its own and doesn’t care whether the above is what it is or add_user_ref_to_products and seems to decide what case everything is in too, etc.

Eta: Class is “User”, rails makes a table “users”. Class is “Mouse”, rails makes a table “mice”. Cray cray.

Eta: I tested Mouse and it did mice, but FatMouse ended up with a table fat_mouses.

I’ve done a few rails in my day. But at 51 those days are mostly behind me.

1 Like

so my 2017 macbook has been really shitty lately, everything slow and choppy, I google how to factory reset it and top hit is “hold cmd r while its rebooting”

I do that and

I watch the loading progress bar fill all the way up, and then start from nothing about 5 times. I’m not prompted for anything. When it finally gets done, it starts up as normal and… everything is still there? All my apps and data. And yet the problem is fixed? WTF even happened? :thinking:

Hard reset doesn’t mean wipe the hard drive or reinstall mac os from scratch.

Unlike PCs which have infinite possible steps to fix stuff - there are only two things you ever need to to fix a mac software issue - hard reset and/or zap the p-ram. One of the many advantages to not having a registry.

Registry used to be a thing you heard about with a PC. I haven’t given it a thought in years, probably 10 years. I’m sure it’s still there, but whatever caused those problems just hasn’t happened to me for a long time.

If you ever have to think about the registry, you’re already fucked. Nothing good ever happens in the registry.

I started out as a PC/Network repair guy working on NT and Windows 95 computers. I’d spend all day troubleshooting - try one thing, wait 5 minutes while NT reboots, try a different thing, reboot, wait 5 more minutes, try something else, etc. Easiest way to kill a day ever. I’ve had to reinstall NT from 18 floppy disks. That will eat up your hours.

I leveraged that into a half programming/half mac network maintainer gig. A whole office full of macs required maybe 4 hours work a week. Hard reset, zap the p-ram. That’s it.

I didn’t have that job, but I’m old and remember how much windows sucked. Starting with 98 it has been much better. It’s worlds better now.

Tell me about it. @RegretS is trying to help me fix mine which has BSOD issues $285 after a guy did a system restore and updated firmware/bios.

Regret’s thinking I need to re-image windows at this point. Lol. Got so frustrated I rage bought an even nicer laptop and it should be here in a few weeks. Windows is a PITA.

fyp