Programming

This discusses it. I think I’m close but so far this is doing nothing:

I feel like I shouldn’t have had to create a ~./zshrc file?

I definitely don’t have a ~./zshenv file.

Edit: I guess I was on bash shell. Weird since I’m on Catalina and .zsh is supposed to be the default. Works now but only with iterm2. I wonder if I can get it working with bash and terminal using the same concept.

Edit edit: I can get it working with bash and iterm but not bash and terminal.

Lol - apparently all you have to do is uncheck Close windows when quitting an app in System Preferences->General. Does exactly what I want.

2 Likes

I’m 35 and as many of you know I hate my job. Also a new dad with a doctor wife so my time is limited.

Past few weeks I’ve been on Codecademy studying data science. Seems like a good fit based on my obsession with data analysis and I’m enjoying it. Finished intro to sql and am several lessons into Python.

I want to make sure that I’m not spinning my wheels, because I really don’t think I can take this job much longer. I haven’t been doing much work recently and I think there’s a legitimate chance I could be fired. We aren’t financially screwed immediately if I lose my job but we are trying to save for retirement and my wife probably couldn’t cover 100% of our budget alone as of right now.

Anyone have any advice for getting into the industry quickly, even if it’s for a super low wage internship deal? Like if I could cover healthcare for my son and I and maybe like $1000 a month after I’d be set for a short term of a year or so.

You should be aware of the ugly truth about data science, which is this:

1 Like

I’m in the data science department of my GiantCo and I have no idea what data scientists do. Its def not a lot of Python and SQL though.

A: I love cleaning and organizing data!

B: the job is yours.

1 Like

A lot of talk about data science in the python podcasts.

So my dream parts of the job are probably more the mining and refining algorithms. I probably spend an hour a day on 538. Is that a pipe dream?

Based on this, the people who work for me do data science. But they were doing it before it was called data science.

Also, who doesn’t like collecting data sets?

From what I understand data science is a broad umbrella and a lot of places don’t call it that. I don’t even know what it is generally called, however, which is a pretty big deal if I am looking to become employed in the industry and I don’t even know entirely how to search for that type of job. As I said, I am very early in this process.

Yeah, what I do is kind of niche, and it’s not really advertised as a coding job. But all of our new hires do have to learn to code to some degree. The main things we look for in new recruits is some in depth quantitative research experience. This could be working as a research assistant for a professor, writing an undergraduate thesis, or doing research at some government agency during an internship.

I guess my advice would be to try to figure out more specifically what type of job you would like, and then try to figure out what skills are most important for getting that job.

In the meantime getting a general knowledge of Python, some experience with Pandas, and doing some data projects of your own on the side couldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

This is not a pie chart of what data scientists do, this is a pie chart of what people call data scientists say they do when building a model. The majority of my time doesn’t even fit in these categories.

1 Like

People call anything with data, data science nowadays. Title doesn’t really mean much in the field.

Yes, read job descriptions. Job titles, especially at non-tech companies, are not helpful when determining which jobs to apply to in DS.

That must be really tough. Econophile’s suggestion is the best, try to figure out what spectrum of data analysis/science you want to live on and shoot for that. One caveat is for the part of the spectrum closer to machine learning and dedicated DS departments usually require experience and/or an advanced degree. If you can pick up enough Python/SQL, and have a good business sense, have experience with coding/data analytics, you’ll find plenty of positions. I would start applying now (After picking up Pandas/Python/SQL and building a model - I would pick a project to show off w/ Github to employers) and seeing what people are looking for, for the companies/positions you are interested in, even if you feel you aren’t the strongest candidate yet

We don’t hire intro candidates anymore (non-PhD), but I can give you advice if you have specific questions - I’m a manager at Wayfair DS, kind of a second tier DS company behind your FAANGs and such.

1 Like

This is all great advice, thank you so much.

Might be a dumb question but I’m super new—what would a good project for my portfolio consist of if I am mainly pursuing data work like python, etc. at an entry level?

So much of what is still daunting to me is how open ended it all still feels—I don’t know what I don’t know, etc.

Do something with data that results in a deliverable that includes a model, performance metrics, business use case and your perspective. Can be anything from political data, sports, etc. Just anything practical to get your hands dirty, it’s both the best experience and the best way to show how you can solve a company’s problems. The openendedness of it is why they pay us the big bucks.

We hire a lot from this boot camp style place, here are some of their example projects they present to us Example ML projects in Data Science, Data Engineering, and Artificial Intelligence | by Jeremy Karnowski | Insight

As far as not knowing what you don’t know, I’d start reading about projects other data scientists work on. Look at what things they seem to care about the most, what metrics matter, what models are good for what problems. I don’t have a single resource that will blow your mind on that unfortunately.

You could also do a free DS modeling course, I’m know Andrew Ng has a fantastic one.

1 Like

What is your day job?

https://netflixtechblog.com/tagged/data-science
https://tech.wayfair.com/category/data-science/
https://medium.com/airbnb-engineering/tagged/data-science

I would check these out for more examples

1 Like

How realistic is it to write a betting lines scraper that doesn’t piss off the books?