Programming

I seem to always be working with one guy like this. Mentioning to the manager has always been met with well he’s bit junior or he’s still coming up to speed or whatever.

In my experience with some of these guys nothing you do matters. But maybe management at your company is better at handing out weak performers

I’m provided an m1 macbook pro by my job and it’s fine, but costly I guess? I also have a Dell XPS 13 linux laptop which is also fine - I like that it’s tiny. Both have great batteries in my experience.

Thanks. I got one already, ended up getting an Asus Vivobook Pro 15, with a Ryzen 9 chip and 16GB of RAM, seems like that should be fine. The OLED screen is tasty.

So out of nowhere I got a meeting notice for “handoff” from my boss that this guy’s last day is… Monday. GG

the way you have it written is a nested loop join, and suzzers solution will be at least 10x faster. although sounds it’s a many to many join anyway. so i’d be surprised if you can avoid a data redesign of some sort

Nice!

I’m not a fan of Amazon/Meta pip quotas and shit but it seems really easy to hang on to really shitty devs without it.

my company takes weak performers and isolates them to teams that mostly do nothing. It’s very bizarre but it works, you just know if stuff’s coming from X worthless team not to take it too seriously.

Line check:

Had a kinda really unpleasant conversation on an introductory call with a Jobot recruiter. She asked my current salary. I told her (it’s definitely very low). She asked what I was looking for, I said 185k total comp (IMO this is a bit low but what I tell every recruiter).

She basically said I was delusional and wants me to ask for 150k. I was like yea, that’s not going to work for me, and she started getting really aggressive about how I was never going to get interviews at my stated price. I said bullshit, I can and have been, you’re the first person to bat an eye at it and I haven’t even been trying. She said something pretty insulting like “in what world do you think you’re gonna get X% off what you make now?” and I was like “well i didnt have to fucking tell you what I make and they aren’t allowed to ask anyway.” She said something like “well where are your offers then?” And I was like, you know what, it’s none of your business, but I haven’t accepted offers because of my health and the situation in my own company.

After that we agreed 160 base + benefits would be acceptable but I still think it’s low for senior devops position of my skillset. What do you think? Am I delusional? I’ve been saying 180-185 for months and the response has been 100% “Oh, absolutely no problem” without even seeing my fucking resume yet.

This type of thing is why it’s illegal in New York to ask prospective employees about their current or past salary. Your comp at a new position should be based on your value in that role, not what you are currently paid.

It is illegal here too. I usually decline to state it. She said “you know, I get paid on what you end up getting, so I want to get you as high as possible.”

Probably true, but I also know it’s in her interest to churn through as many of these as easily as possible and if 20k extra is gonna mean more work for her it wouldn’t necessarily be more profitable for her. Might ghost her. I hate external recruiters.

Don’t argue with her. End that conversation.

“You are a 160k engineer and not a 180k engineer” is total nonsense in all respects.

Value is subjective. The correlation between talent and pay is poor. Set your price and go for it. If 99 companies think you’re overpriced and one is happy with it then it’s a good ending for you.

Use places like levels.fyi to find good salaries. Apply those places, the difference is huge. Learn how to game their interview. It’s as easy to fall in love with a generous job as with a stingy one. Find internal references so you’re not just one more resume in a stack.

Pay for professional interview prep. Pay for professional resume prep. These are good investments.
Track everything about applying and interviewing. Analyze and adapt.

Getting a SWE job IS A JOB. Make it your responsibility and do it well.

You’ve heard this all before. I’m just repeating because you need to drop that recruiter with swiftness.

2 Likes

Been getting tons of interviews looking for a TC higher than that. I don’t talk to 3rd party recruiters though.

1 Like

That recruiter sucks. Recruiters are a dime a dozen just get a new one.

Clearly doesn’t seem to know her shit. Base salary can approach 185 at most companies and when including stock and bonus you have tons of options to go far past that.

thanks everyone. she seemed to confirm this, emailed me again saying she checked with her team and that salary isn’t out of line with my resume.

devops salaries and titles shouldn’t be viewed in a vacuum. top salaries for my role are around 180ish, but most devops engineers don’t carry a CS degree and typically have little to no programming experience, which is in very very high demand. devops engineers that can’t program will go extinct in the near future (actually a very interesting topic).

I already passively got a few interviews since talking to her last week. I’m not even doing anything other than replying to linkedin spam, which is why I thought she was FOS. I’m barely trying and getting calls already.

It’s going to be interesting Job Hunting when I graduate in the next 6 months or so. My degree is labeled software development but is focused mainly on Java. The question for me is do I stay with my current employer (A huge software company) that I have my tech support gig with? That would likely require relocation out of Las Vegas to get any sort of development job. Or do I look around Las Vegas?

Giving up my 6 weeks of vacation is going to be rough. Working non remote will be tougher. My tech support gig pays around 75k. Will I have to take a paycut for an entry level development position somewhere?

Entry level backend web with spring boot is probably around 80k. In your shoes I’d see if you can transfer to a dev job in your company. You can stay remote forever now easily.

When switching job types always try in your current company first. Much easier than convincing another company you are qualified. Then once you have a year of developer experience start looking for pay increases elsewhere.

Anyone here doing the over employed thing? I’m thinking about giving it a shot. It seems less stressful and also easier to get going than busting my ass on leetcode for a faang type role

Depends on what you’re making now on your one job I’d suppose, I work ~25 hours a week don’t really want to double that. Pretty sure one contractor on my team does it but he doesn’t seem like a very happy person.