Moderation

You could help, cousin.

I have changed my votes to no for both anachronistic and triceratops. I am fine with banning both. They certainly deserve it. We should have a process in place though and not just an unexpected poll in post 953 in a low traffic thread.
Let’s have a dedicated thread for each banning. Link the thread prominently across the forum and then have a simple majority vote to ban. We don’t need endless discussions on the merits of each ban. Those will likely have taken place long before a thread and poll have been started.

1 Like

There was discussion upthread about whether there should be a new thread each time and @zikzak was very much opposed and no one else seemed to care. So for now polls in this thread are what the community wants.

I think calling the poll “buried” is a bit dramatic. This is the thread for these discussions. I assume anyone who cares is following along. The poll got 57 responses, so people are reading. The poll was linked in one other high volume thread and anachronistic was @'ed so he had the chance to link it in other threads or speak up for himself.

Seems fine.

1 Like

Really thoughtful comparison to make right now.

3 Likes

A lot of trolls are a fan of the “I’m not touching you” game but for posting. I personally think it’s a mistake to let them keep doing it.

3 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

Well, I do think Sabo’s politics are closer to AOC’s than yours are. On the other hand he may be trolling with it while you’re in earnest.

1 Like

Every single poster on the forum, including anachro, was free to make that thread and had they done it, it would almost certainly have become the decisive thread on these bans.

Conflating Raids with @zarapochka is disingenuous on the level of RWNJ arguments. @Triceratops is a moron, but he’s contained to one thread (that I and others have muted) and he’s not spamming other threads with low effort posts to cause derails ala raids.

I started the initial poll weeks ago for Raids. The majority voted to ban him. He wasn’t banned. Much discussion was had. Another poll was made. He was subsequently banned.

If only Emmet Till was treated as unjustly.

3 Likes

Haha I highly doubt it. You’re just misguided about what either mine or AOC’s views are.

And the fact that this word is problematic has been pointed out to him before. He knows. He’s a troll.

1 Like

This.

Omg bad words says the people who don’t want to give people healthcare

1 Like

Really. lol you are going to defend wrongfully using the word lynching this month, of all months, and then knowingly lie about our positions in a thread dedicated to calling out trolls.

I tip my hat sir. That is next level trolling.

1 Like

@Sabo its not a lynching, its informally building a consensus. Seems like you object to there being no formal process. If its all codified, every troll is just gonna lawbro you to death with them. This ad-hoc process is fine imo.

Idk what kind of exposure this place gets or wants to, but if i were stumbling across it for the first time, the top threads being 3 guys engaging a troll isn’t necessarily a good look. Not sure containment is much better than a ban because of this.

2 Likes

Come on Johnny. If some right wing person has used that term this month so obviously incorrectly they would be destroyed on this site. There is no definition of that word that is anything like he was saying. He simply wanted to be as caustic as possible. A lynching is a extrajudicial murder that includes torture and public dehumanization. To say an annoying poster getting banned after a vote is being lynched, this month when actual Africans Americans are being lynched, is completely inexcusable.

3 Likes

I think Sabo is a generally smart guy who likes to throw bombs and stir shit up.

I don’t think he was trying to be racist. He is obviously not a racist. He was being insensitive just like the time he used the word whore several times in a post. His desire to throw rhetorical bombs overtakes his desire to be sensitive.

Bang up job keeping dumb forum drama off the front page today.

Is there a way to set the entire “about unstuck” forum to not appear on the top page? If so maybe we do that.

This is a false dichotomy. In no way am I arguing for “all codified”. The amount of “formal”-ness is up for discussion. I’m usually the one making the anti-lawbro speech… so I think you just lost your chain of thought there.

But yeah, there needs to be some kinda process here… or we’re just tossing the whole concept of community out the window.

Let’s see… banning threads only opened with a unanimous vote by the current mods. This allows our duly delegated by acclamation ‘editors’ to exercise their discretion, and act as a “grand jury”, to weed out frivolous complaints, while still letting everyone play jury.

Notice: there is no “all codified”, or any more weasel room to “lawbro” than the status-quo… but there is process. If you want to call that “formal”… well that’s up to you.