Presidential Debate Thread: Take 2 (Tonight at 9 PM Eastern)

Coal miners ticket.

And the coal miners would still vote Trump.

5 Likes

RIP Joe Lieberman, this could have been his moment.

https://x.com/mcuban/status/1807238323150152170?t=i3oUom8OCIwQ1kLfE2lPfQ&s=19

1 Like

Dems gonna nominate Nikki Haley

These aren’t normal people

I feel like I saw more public appearances from Al Gore and Biden than I have from Kamala. Could be just vibes.

Like has she been stumping for Biden at all this cycle?

What is her pet issue? Google says animal rights (maybe the word pet threw off the search). That seems like more of a first lady responsibility than a VP responsibility.

The tin foil hat theory is that Harris is a poison pill.

1 Like

I joked about this the other day, but half-seriously: they should put Bernie in. He has a dedicated base, full of people ready to campaign for him. He can credibly make the case that the economy is better while also acknowledging where it still falls short. He’s still sharp as shit. Age is still an issue.

4 Likes

I said months ago that the best dem play is to nominate a mystery candidate, only to be revealed after winning the election. Wasn’t totally joking then, certainly the best course of action now.

7 Likes

I would like to propose legislation wherein the Dem presidential nominee is just a randomly-selected middle school teacher. That accomplishes two things:

1. We’d actually have a leader with functional empathy and an idea of what the real world looks like.

2. That person would have a lot of relevant experience wrangling egocentric image-focused idiots with no grasp on how their decisions impact the world. In other words, the exact people who consitute the rest of our political leadership.

5 Likes

Even better, don’t preselect a candidate. Leave it up to a spin on the big wheel. Hell, you could even give Trump a tiny little wedge for maximum fun.

1 Like

Just a lottery of everyone who is eligible.

Didn’t Harris have a pretty epic collapse in the 2020 primary? Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought it was something like one week she’s leading or near the lead and the next all her staff quit.

Not spectacularly. She was always an underdog against the establishment guy, she was mostly just running to get name recognition for the post-Biden era.

Strong disagree. Harris was widely considered a top contender in 2019 (i thought so too) and she dropped out well before Iowa. It was easily the worst showing in the primaries, a disaster.

2 Likes

Groomed/not groomed has nothing to do with who you pick. You pick the person who is best for your candidacy. Groom/not groom is what happens in the second half (maybe a bit earlier) of the main guys last term.

1 Like

Her collapse was extreme and I didn’t really get it. It certainly wasn’t just that she isn’t white and is a woman. She was prominent, raised a lot of money, had experienced people on staff, pummeled Biden in the debates, and then just had no public support. She was just like the 3rd favorite of everyone she hoped would support her.

I definitely do remember her staff quitting and telling tales of extreme dysfunction.

1 Like

That’s gotta be pretty much almost everyone but Cheney. How many VPs don’t even seek election after their POTUS terms out or doesn’t run? I searched, and I think the answer might be none. And although research indicates LBJ didn’t support Humphrey that much, he did endorse him anyway.

Things worked differently back in the day. Andrew Jackson (who had more than 100 duels) credibly threatened to kill his VP (who still did try to become POTUS).

I know why I vehemently dislike her and it’s cuz of her record as prosecutor and AG. But I think you’re kidding yourself to think sex and race didn’t have anything to do with her collapse. This is still very much a sexist and racist country