Podcast Thread

this level of naivete is almost painful and why I stopped listening to Preet

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1170180105991315457

Yeah. I gave up on him for the same reason.

I think this is overstated but the gist is correct. PodSave is doing polling and focus groups in swing states, and they have found “Donald Trump is personally corrupt, enriching himself at your expense” to be clearly the most effective of their polled attacks against him.

It makes sense to me because doing all kinds of grotesque things like putting kids in cages or bombing innocent Arabs or whatever, there will always be two sides, one that says this is a moral outrage and another that says it’s for the good of the country (e.g. “deterrent”). It helps that the primary victims in these cases are the Others. But making the taxpayer foot the bill for Mike Pence to stay in a Trump hotel 200 miles away from his destination, there is no even superficially plausible defense as being good for the country or anyone but Trump. And the victims in this case are the US taxpayers, not the Others.

1 Like

You make good points, but I think that “enriching himself at my expense” goes on one side of the scale, and “hurting brown people” goes on the other end of the scale. Will “enriching himself at my expense” outweigh “hurting brown people?” Maybe. I worry that it won’t though.

1 Like

I agree with this. Truth is that most people only care about asylum seekers in cages and unarmed black people being shot by cops in an abstract sense. Most people don’t live with that risk in America. Most people just go about their everyday lives blind and ignorant to that stuff. They hear about it, go “Oh that’s terrible” and continue with work.

When you make it loud and clear that it affects them directly (especially financially), it’ll wake them up.

The premium Chapo on Jerry Falwell Jr and Liberty University is a great listen.

2 Likes

Yeah I hadn’t put the pieces together to figure out that Jerry Jr. is almost certainly - spoilers - a cuck fetishist. NTTAWWT, unless you’re giving corrupt deals to the dudes banging your wife in exchange for silence.

The whole “cuck”-bashing trend from the right had to be one of the biggest cases of projection in modern American cultural history

3 Likes

The two latest Citations Needed discuss the homeless and how media continues to demonize them. The timing is fortuitous, as they were probably recorded before Trump’s BS crackdown on California homelessness. I don’t think people on this board will find much new information in there, and I wish they went further into solutions (though that isn’t really what their podcast is for–they’re media critics), but both episodes are worth a listen.

1 Like

There appears to be some coordinated GOP anti homeless push. They’re the new Enemy.

1 Like

The old cranks who rant about homeless people on Nextdoor have one of their own as POTUS.

Yea and of course it’s complete bad faith, as always. Obviously the right doesn’t actual care about these people as humans. Trump even said the quiet part out loud–they hate that homeless people make doorways ugly, or whatever.

I’m guessing the ramp up in anti-homeless rhetoric will continue to be accompanied by attacks on the Democratic leadership of these cities–again, in complete bad faith–to continue to appeal to deplorables in the lead-up to 2020: “If those Dems can’t run a city, how can they run the country!” (Never mind that there are tons of national policies that could actually improve the homeless situation… like, say, UHC.)

Just binged through Dirty John, great if you like true crime and only six episodes (seven if you count the cheesy live one that shouldn’t have been done). Also finished season 2 of Crimetown so I neeeed some new recs

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamieJBartlett/status/1174686334037962752

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamieJBartlett/status/1174972726563364865

1 Like

The latest episode of On The Media, my second-favorite podcast, has an excellent deep-dive into free speech, its underpinnings and consequences. Very thought-provoking.

The latest Ezra Klein episode about how political messaging has changed in the information era is really good. ‎The Gray Area with Sean Illing: How politics became a war against reality on Apple Podcasts

1 Like

Today In Focus (from the Guardian) is often very good.

Solid interview with Naomi Klein on the latest Chapo.

1 Like

Edward Snowden on JRE. Going to try to listen to it today.

1 Like

That’s a must listen even if it is just a monitor of his face