Podcast Thread

5-4 is such a good podcast. Any lawyers that can comment on their handle on the law? I find it educating, hilarious, and they have great chemistry.

I also find it terrifying.

They’re spot on. It fills a huge hole in mainstream legal analysis by making what is intentionally impenetrable easy to understand. Conservative legal theories are all complete horseshit but you need quite a bit of knowledge to be able to explain why efficiently. The lead guy is probably the single best media analyst of con law, anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be on board with saying something like given Dan’s style and the lack of sources, he should have picked a different topic for a series, but there was some good stuff in there about the Assyrians, I enjoyed it.

Speaking of Prophets of Dooom, Christoph Waltz played Jan van Leyden in:

The guy in 5-4 is quite good but he does sometimes gallop a bit and doesn’t get all the way into the weeds. That said, he calls out bullshit and doesn’t waste time both-sidesing issues and often provides historical context. I think Opening Arguments goes into the legalistic details of issues better. Strict Scrutiny podcast and lawfare are more down the middle and scholarly but accept some BS conservative premises. Eli Mystal of the Nation and zoomin Toobin are very good with legal analysis, with Toobin being a bit more establishment-ish.

Which guy? There is peter and michael. I got a bit of a man crush on peter aka lawboy, but all of them are awesome. I know Michael was an election lawyer which gives him a lot of insight into our current bullshit.

Recent 5-4 with Ro Khanna kinda dampened my hope for court packing. One of the more progressive house members coming out mostly against court packing is very meh. He left it on the table that if the supreme court starts striking down popular legislation then we can consider it, but obviously the court will be political when dems have a senate majority and just rule super conservative on shit that doesn’t get a ton of publicity like voter rights and gerrymandering but not fuck up shit like the ACA/Roe V Wade, and then do it when republicans take the senate back which they are sure to do without voting rights.

Maybe he’s just being political prior to the election but was pretty lame. He’s all aboard the bi-partisan court reforms and even has his stupid term limit bill that is probably unconstitutional in the first place and does nothing.

I mea

Feel like Matt and Virgil were wayyyy too optimistic when doing their predictions.

2 Likes

WELL THANKFULLY THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED YET

lol there will be no bipartisan court reform unless the democrats start packing the fuck out of the court. otherwise the GOP play is to act like they’re interested and just get the process mired in the mud forever.

the ONLY way to fix stuff is to start massively overpacking the courts, admit tons of new states, etc, and force the GOP to agree to some constitutional reforms (get rid of the electoral college or massively overhaul it, weaken the senate, 18 year terms for SCOTUS and other federal judges, etc). There is NO way the GOP agrees to anything unless the democrats make the alternative much, much worse for them.

3 Likes

Matt’s analysis of state GOP legislators was bizarre. He somehow thinks they are less insane than the GOP Congress psychos? The opposite is true. They’re down for any amount of riggage.

4 Likes

I’m binging 5-4 at the recommendation of this thread and am really enjoying it so far. (Certainly more interesting than the work I should be doing right now.)

It’s a great explanation of why conservative judicial philosophy is bullshit but presented in a way that non-lawyer idiots like myself can understand. Thanks, all.

3 Likes

Hot off the presses, Ezra Klein interviews Nate Silver.

Pocket Casts

Nate Silver on why 2020 isn’t 2016 - The Ezra Klein Show

The Wizard of Odds on 2016’s mistakes, polling error, and Trump’s chances

x-post with potus bowl thread.

On a different note, I don’t care if Grayzone is doing the best reporting in the history of the world at the Assange trial, anyone going out of their way to promote Grayzone has aligned themselves with laughably absurd attempts to justify the actions of the PRC government in Xinjiang.

TrueAnon is dead to me.

Chapo released an older paid episode about how much Sorkin sucks and it’s great. Amber warning.

This looks quite good. Podcasts on eric weinstein, jordan peterson, etc.
https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm/

2 Likes

Have you listened to any yet? Because you’re right, it does look good.

Listening to the latest one now and it’s pretty good. A bit niche in digging into the intellectual derangement of Eric Weinstein, but a solid takedown. Definitely going to listen to the Jordan Peterson episode.

It’s digging into the tropes used to support conspiracy theories.

Holy cow, the first episode on eric and brett weinstein is 3 hours. Can be found in your favorite podcast app (link on site).

3 Likes

Sweet. I’ll give it a go - as long as it’s not one of those where they feel the need to talk all over each other and try to be funny.

Alex Wagner was the guest on The Dave Chang Show to talk about the election. I enjoyed the discussion of how the people inside the Trump administration view themselves as the Rebel Alliance and not the Empire.

I’ll pretty much watch/listen to anything with Alex Wager. She’s smart, cute, and has a great personality. Not someone who jumps on bandwagons. Used to DVR her old MSNBC show.