**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

3 Likes

Yeah. I went to England/Scotland one winter and was freezing the whole time at around 35 degrees, wet and windy. Last time I went to the mountains here in the winter it was super dry and below zero F and I was cross country skiing comfortably in a t-shirt. (minus 30 is another story I’m sure. I went downhill skiing once at about -15F and it wasn’t horrible, but a bit painful to exposed skin)

I grew up in the best of both worlds. Gets below zero during the winter, over 100 and humid in the summer. But spring and fall are nice.

Humidity just sucks…hot or cold. The West is the best.

You people in the Arctic, what’s your heating bill in a really cold month?

I recently bought a Toshiba external hard drive to back up all my stuff.

When I plugged it into my MacBook, I needed to format it for it to accept files. Now my PC running Windows 10 won’t recognize it (it shows up in disk manager but I can’t change the drive letter because it’s greyed out).

Is there some rule that modern hard drives won’t easily show up on both Mac and PC? That can’t be right. My old Seagate drive had no problem recognizing both. I would appreciate any suggestions as this is driving me a bit crazy.

My wife pays the gas bill but I think it’s $150-200 during the coldest winter months (Jan and Feb). We have vaulted ceilings with no attic and bad insulation which is a terrible setup for a house in this climate, so much heat loss through the roof.

One of my college houses used oil to heat the place. We had a big tank buried in the yard that had to be filled throughout the year, this was in 2007 and 2008. It was a 100+ year old 3 story house with drafty windows and terrible insulation. I remember heating bills being $600+ per month and we kept the thermostat low.

Double mines… Ranges from £55-65 during those months in the UK for a medium sized house… :house_with_garden:

You have to format the drive as exFAT for it to be readable by both operating systems.

I’ve had some truly inane arguments in my life, but none as profoundly stupid as that one. It was the Berenstain Bear Dad of arguments.

Anyone got a funnier reference for a stupid person, animal or cartoon character than Berenstain Bear Dad here?

I really want to go with “It was the Andy Richter in Cabin Boy of arguments.” But I think that approximately 0.0 people out of 100 will get that reference.

Others I got are Ralph Wiggum, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Patrick from Spongebob (I don’t think people will know Patrick Star as much). But I don’t feel like any of those are funnier. Ralph is close but it feels mean to pick on a kid.

Me with a $75 heating bill in southern california

4 Likes

WTF you’re powering it with a light sabre?

1 Like

The Zoolander of arguments?

Oh yeah, for sure. Who doesn’t love constant droughts and wildfires?

I’m sure Suzzer will be on the next flight back to KC.

KC would be awful no matter what the climate was.

1 Like

BBQ though.

TX > Carolina > Memphis > KC >>> AL

1 Like

Nor sure about the overall ranking but for sure Texas isn’t number one. Brisket is the nut low of BBQ. It’s science.

1. You’re wrong
  2. TX does more than brisket
  3. You’re still wrong
4 Likes