**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Those of us who do real, hands-on work manipulating the actual, physical environment at the very bottom of Maslow’s hierarchy find all of these scenarios absolutely revolting.

We also tend to get paid far less for our efforts, with a much higher physical toll.

5 Likes

Your just jealous that you don’t get to dance in a monkey suit.

2 Likes

fearless, adversarial substack journalist

2 Likes

Shut up and go moderate the covid thread monkeyboy. Dance I say!

Dammit!

My public high school’s foundation is so loaded it spends $2,000,000~ a year on mostly the sports program which included $540,000 in “travel, banquets, and other” in 2018. Just fucking insane wastes of money. They opened up 2 new high schools in the area since I graduated and now its just a shitty party school for jocks after all the smart kids who don’t play sports bailed.

1 Like

Say what you will about Ben Carson, he separated conjoined twins, he’s not clumsy.

Can’t tell what level you’re on? But if there is another way, what is it?

Suzzer’s doesn’t count. It’s basically if someone memorized the answer to Trolly’s method without knowing how to derive it.

One of the things that has historically separated the well to do is the ability to get much better food, eg, good meat, pepper/spices, chocolate, etc. This has mainly disappeared if you are at least lower middle class.

It’s amusing to see that the girlfriend of one of the richest men in the world eats worse than most college students.
https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/1339804255339773952?s=19

I’d say the hot dogs are at least as problematic as butter.
(She indicates that she’s not eating vegan while pregnant. Good on her for at least trying most of the time. I consider meat unethical, but I love it and still eat it. I can hardly throw stones at Grimes.)

If you ever wondered how I seem to know a lot about different stuff, the quiz bowl world is one that I was immersed in. There’s a decent chance I crossed paths with @MichaelDavis at some point.

1 Like

I had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for a HS class. I’ve been tempted to do a re-read thread on here. It’s arguably the most influential book in my life, even though I’ve never ridden a motorcycle and am not one who travels much.

1 Like

BTW, I love pepper and I love bargains. I used to buy the large costco pepper grinders, but I discovered that i can just buy like the 16oz costco thing of ground pepper for $5, and I don’t even have to grind massive amounts of pepper. It’s just there, all the pepper one could want, preground.

1 Like

I thought grinding it fresh was better

That’s propaganda from fancy restaurants. I doubt anyone could tell in a blind taste test. And if your not fresh ground pepper is reducing the quality of your meal, you’re eating a lot better than me.

Fresh-ground pepper is definitely spicier than pre-ground pepper. Not everyone wants that.

The way I was taught is that the possibility of any subgroup of events happening out of a group of events is the sum of all their likelihoods happening separately, minus all the combinations of more than one of them happening together.

Trolly’s way isn’t as clean if you want to know the odds of say 2 out of 3 events happening. 50%+40%+60% - (50%*40% + 50%*60% + 60%*40%)

Freshly ground pepper is infinitely better than preground. I adore pepper.

2 Likes

I only made it through 1/3. But I do that a lot with books. I made it to Chautauquas at least. And the leaky faucet.

War of Jenkins Ear used to come up all the time!

There are these weird facts that people love. So they keep getting included

College quiz bowlers are absolute sickos. I’m not on that on level. They know everything.

1 Like