No Country for Old Men Watch Party

For today’s Watch Party, we will pay tribute to the third greatest movie ever made.

Saturday April 18
10pm EST

180 posts were merged into an existing topic: Movie Night Watch Party

I have Fargo edging out NCFOM by a bit. Lebowski is their most overrated movie but it’s still excellent. Most underrated is probably Burn After Reading, that’s a top five Coen movie for me. Worst movie for me was A Serious Man, goddamn that was boring.

1 Like

hmmm I think I liked this post because I thought it was being sarcastic and risky flush liked it because he thought it was serious. Who’s right?

Oh we’re doing this.

[ ] had it under control

OK everyone pause when Llewellyn takes his shot at the pronghorn

Paused at pronghorn shot

Love the detail that they show him pocketing his brass.

all right with you guys

you guys at dog?

Mean looking dog

same

So all Cormac McCarthy novels are written cinematographicly – the images leap off the page. And this is a very faithful adaptation of the novel. But it’s interesting how well this lended itself to adaptation and how poorly The Road lended itself to adaptation. The Road was a faithful adaptation but I think it was just unfilmable, which was weird because it seemed so movie-like when I was reading it.

Big talk

The book’s great but when I read it I was all well that was just like the movie. Except for one bit at the end. It’s short though and a very fast, engrossing read. Same with The Road. Only other McCarthy book I’ve tried to read was Blood Meridian and I was all nope nope nope after some of the brutal bits.

So many great little details in this movie. Lew picking up his brass after the pronghorn shot. Blowing into the chamber before he loads his pistol. Carrying his rifle at the hip going into the drug deal.

1 Like

It’s a tactical advantage for Lew once Chiguh is in the motel. He wants Chiguh to break into his room so he can ambush him. Would have got him too if the lock hadn’t hit him in the gut.

1 Like

It’s clear in the movie too. Chigurh checks his shoes for blood.