National Basketball Association - 2023/24 Season

espn’s headline

“who are the Celtics thinking to take at 25”

They don’t ****ing know, they are going to wait, see who’s there, take someone or trade it, or do whatever they want. Meanwhile in the betting markets, #2 isn’t a lock. Might be more interesting than whatever the celtics are doing but maybe that’s just me and there really are a ton of boston fans just slurping up espn’s website.

worst nba trades ever

so Jordan Poole is the next Kobe?

The number one driver of Boston content is the haters. They live to click on anything Boston related.

Man that is so much swag

1 Like

Not so much swag

1 Like

NBA is increasingly gender fluid apparently

so the celtics went from 25 to getting 38/39 and a bunch of 2nd round picks in the future? I got that right?

I realize 2nd rounders are wild lotto balls but sheesh.

I think it makes a lot of sense. The Celtics may end up over the second apron in future seasons and will lose even the taxpayer MLE, so they need as much future draft equity as possible to add talent.

1 Like

Noob NBA salary cap question?

My understanding is that you can go over the cap, you just have to pay some sort of fine. Are none of the owners rich enough to not car about that? Why has no one decided to just make an NBA Man City?

i dont know the exact details but they basically have a soft cap and a hard cap, you can’t just go over an unlimited amount. Steve Ballmer (clippers owner) is definitely rich enough to form a man city if it was possible to do that.

It’s a soft salary cap that you can exceed by using exceptions to the rules. If you exceed it by too much, you will pay a luxury tax that becomes more punitive as your payroll increases.

2 Likes

Also, when the next CBA kicks in, there will be other rather harsh non-financial penalties associated with going over the cap. These include limits on your ability to make certain trades and sign players in the buyout market. So, it will be harder to build a good team around the expensive guys you have, and any mistakes you make in signing someone to a big contract will be harder to undo because the trade restrictions will make it harder to dump those guys.

Hot take: That suit rules.

2 Likes

Can you exceed it by any amount as long as you are willing and able to pay the tax?

That’s a scorcher.

Brad has been spending too much time with BB.

No the new rules for going over the apron are much harsher than a fine. You lose exceptions you have draft picks moved to the last pick of the first round and other stuff. One other thing is you have a reduced amount you can sign some players for compared to other teams.

Phoenix right now is blowing through it but there are penalties being over the second apron in the new cba for 2/3 years out of 5 I think. Plus you pay fines.

Two reasons for it, I’ve read

1. Since they don’t have to pay a first rounder, they have enough money to offer a free agent the Tax Payer MLE ($5mm). They couldn’t do it with the first round salary without ditching someone else.

2. They didn’t have any other 2nds they could trade. They have all their firsts (other than a San Antonio swap years down the line) but 2nds for the little moves were needed, I guess.

I don’t know what they can get with the Tax Payer MLE. I know Divincenzo settled for that last year, so it’s possible to get real players.

No. You must have salary cap space to sign free agents from other teams. You can exceed the cap using certain exceptions to sign free agents to modest contracts, to sign draft picks, and to sign your own free agents. There’s also a limit to how much salary you can acquire via trade based on how much salary you trade away.