National Basketball Association - 2023/24 Season

This New Balance basketball commercial is playing regularly. Kawhi, Jamal Murray, that checks out. Love me some Tyrese Maxey. Zach Lavine and Dejounte, that’s fine. I found out Cameron Brink is women’s college basketball’s Dikembe Mutombo - 3.5 blocks in 24 minutes!

OK, there’s Aaron Nesmith, a little out of place but as an Aaron Nesmith Appreciator, I can appreciate him being there.

And then there’s Darius Bazley, who is not in the NBA and does not, in fact, got now.

New Balance made a big, for them, gamble on Bazley coming out of HS.

1 Like

Thanks for the recap. I wouldn’t worry too much - I think back to that first Miami season, the Lebrons took a little while to figure it out. They were like 8-7 after 15 games.

Bucks opponents shooting a little too hot from 3, too. That’ll come back.

One other Bucks note - I watched the Hawks-Bucks game on League Pass, and the Bucks broadcast had a special Halloween logo with the Buck’s head covered in a ghost sheet. Terrific - I checked the team’s instagram but couldn’t find the image, it was terrific.

I missed it. I’m in Atlanta, so I saw the game on the local broadcast. I’ll have to try to find it.

Bucks just gave up 130 pts to the worst offensive team in the NBA. An offense that has looked completely inept at times against other bad defenses like Portland and Chicago.

They probably will improve as the season goes on, but the baseline is so terrible that they need to improve a lot to be title contenders.

Celtics defense was pretty good last year, and they gave up 150 to OKC, without Shai playing. Stuff happens.

Obviously you guys are right and their defense is worse with Dame v. Jrue, but I think it’s fine to say this is the 4th game with some new pieces and a new coach. I’d obviously love for the Bucks to be a disaster but there’s too much talent.

One small sample I want to believe is permanent - my husky son Grant Williams is a 55% 3 point shooter on 7+ shots a game!

1 Like

I put a small futures bet on Grant for Most Improved Player because he’s going to get a chance to be a 15+ ppg scorer in Dallas as their third-best player.

1 Like

He has been a great addition for the mavs. He is a massive help on defense but also is going to get so many open looks with luka and kyrie. With kyrie out last night and luka struggling, he carried the team, along with their rookie center.

Mavs have added a few interesting pieces this year and grant is the biggest of those. He will have a much bigger offensive role in Dallas. The mavs feasted on corner threes last year because of luka, and he will get a lot of those opportunities.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time…?

https://x.com/SportsCenter/status/1720199658243260822?s=20

https://twitter.com/KingJosiah54/status/1720212053057794123?t=e8Q5XsC-ZEWQJ02pAUcgxw&s=19

Wemby

That is all.

Le Kaiju

Yeah it’s over for everyone else

How you gonna say “I am not a system player. I am a system.” instead of “I am not a system player. I am a system, player.”?

3 Likes

He had to give up the right to paraphrase Jay-Z when he left Brooklyn.

1 Like

I thought kyrie was the problem in Brooklyn all on his own.

If he avoids major injury he has near goat potential. The guy could average 40ppg in some future world. Just so difficult to stop him and he delivers on both ends.

Glad the mavs got him in foul trouble in game one.

Also the in season tourney starts today.

I read some theories about the in-season tournament where folks think it’ll take some time.

I think the opposite. The players were excited about it - I think the first year could be the best year. It may take some time for guys to think it’s lame. I’m in on it.

Good ESPN slate, too - Knicks v. Bucks (god help me I enjoy watching the Knicks) and Mavs v. Nuggets. Hope they let my husky son lock up Jokic again

“Grant did a great job,” Brown said of Williams’ defense on Jokic. “He wanted me to tell the media he wants his nickname to be Batman. I said I don’t know about that one Grant.”

(Jokic torched him last season).

No one is better at their job than the person who picks Stephen A. Smith screencaps for video thumbnails.

Love Batman. I was first tepid on the tourney but I have come around. I think the players will try. Star players can earn a big paycheck for their teammates. I think the unique floor is a good idea so players and fans recognize it as being different.

Will be interesting how the group stage plays out. I think once it gets to the final eight it will be really good. I think a few teams/coaches might not “try” during the group stages but I think the players will push it. Guys who make the nba have to be hyper competitive as a baseline.