National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

Trading down from 1 and fading the hype on Ball and Fultz to take Tatum is pretty great.

Marcus Smart was a v good pick at 6 or 7. His trades are very, very good w/ the Nets swindling being the top one, but getting off IT2 for Kyrie and a pick in a crappy draft that turned into a meh guy w/ Sexton was fantastic (as was grabbing IT2’s value contract via trade to begin with). Signed the best contract in the league for a while with Crowder (again acquired via trade). His draft record is a bit shotty, except he swung for Brown too (like Presti with Russ and Harden). Drafted Rondo and Delonte West in the twenties. Sullinger was decent at 21 or watev and then the game changed.

He swings on draft night but has prbly the best scouting eye in the league for guys once they hit the pros.

eta: didn’t get emotional and resign Posey to a bad deal off the title. Drafted Avery Bradley. Was the first gm to seemingly be ahead of the market changing and signed guys to bigger, longer deals in anticipation. Was ahead on b2b value bigs with Baynes and Theis.

1 Like

Has great timing with getting off guys at the right time: KG, Pierce, Rondo, IT2.

He’s hired, what, two coaches on his watch? Should get credit for that. Hell, he traded Doc for a 1st! Add him to the list.

In line with the conversation, it’s notable that it was from Olshey’s offer.

Similarly, Olshey previously tried to pay Roy Hibbert and Greg Monroe big money. Also don’t forget he matched a 4/75 (!!!) on Allen Crabbe. I already mentioned Evan Turner’s 4/70. Turner is another guy that Ainge bought low on and then let walk instead of overpaying.

Most of the draft talk in nonsense. Across all sports, its near impossible to accurately project how good teenagers will be. For every Lebron, Mbappe, McDavid that is a cant miss stud at 18 there are 5 guys who don’t reach their potential.

Eh it’s pretty consistent on which classes are worse than others going in

a lot of busted high picks just needed additional knowledge we don’t have but the teams should’ve like is this guy a fucking moron who can’t read basic plays or doesn’t really give a shit about the sport they’re playing or crazy loon basket. Sometimes you’ll get sysmatic errors the internet has figured out but the sport hasn’t like the NFL pass rushing ends need to have a certain athletic threshold or they bust.

Sure, I just mean there aren’t some GMs that are magically knowing Giannis is going to be an MVP talent. The people doing pre draft boards at ESPN are basically on the same level as an average GM.

Nfl drafting should be much easier than the other sports. The average age being ~4 years older is just a gigantic difference.

They weren’t going to pay Oubre next year.

GSW paying something like 90M for the privilege of adding Oubre. Seems not ideal for them.

Prior to this season, Ainge had drafted more guys that died than made the ASG.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Ainge as a GM.

Celtics fans tend to ding Ainge for three main things: not drafting Giannis, trading Kendrick Perkins, and not drafting or trading for centers.

In 2013, Ainge used a couple of second round picks to move up three spots to select Kelly Olynyk, just ahead of Utah, who was rumored to be hot on Olynyk. Olynyk was an above average pick for that slot and better than what the Celtics would have taken if they hadn’t moved up. In most years, that would be lauded as a great trade-up. However, Giannis was taken two spots later. Giannis was a lottery ticket who was hard to scout because of the crap league he played in and I get why Ainge didn’t take him. He projected to be an athletic wing or combo forward with a perimeter shooting weakness.

An argument can be made that Olynyk was the third-best player available at that point, depending on how you feel about Dennis Schroder, Mason Plumlee, and Tim Hardaway Jr. However, when the first two are Giannis and Rudy Gobert, Olynyk pales in comparison, even though he’s an above average outcome for a mid-teens pick in a weak draft. Ainge gets criticized for not hitting a home run when he clearly hit at least a single.

Kendrick Perkins was beloved by the Celtics fan base as that tough, blue collar big man who did the dirty work. However, coming off a devastating torn ACL, he was due for a big contract. He decided to ship him out to OKC and let Sam Presti take the hit for giving Perkins a big contract. The return was Jeff Green, whose career was set back by the discovery of a heart defect, and Nenad Krstic, who the Celtics lost due to the NBA lockout when he decided he would prefer a more secure paycheck closer to home in Europe.

This leads into the bigger general complaint about Ainge’s unwillingness to acquire a dominant center, a sore point for fans of the franchise that was home to Robert Parish, Dave Cowens, and Bill Russell. The Perkins trade was all about believing that Perkins was not worth a big contract and that smallball was the future. There’s a subset of traditionalist Celtics fans who absolutely loathe smallball and don’t believe it is a winning strategy, going so far as to call for Brad Stevens to be fired because he likes smallball lineups too much. There’s a legitimate complaint that Jeff Green was the wrong horse to hitch your smallball lineup to at power forward, but the general thrust of Ainge’s direction has been proven to be correct, I believe.

Ainge has passed on so many athletic big men in the draft and refused to trade for established veterans that he almost seems to be trolling the Celtics fan base by refusing to cater to their fondest desire, but I feel there is a method to his madness. Long before it became obvious to the rest of the league, Ainge became less enamored with the idea of a post-up center who clogs the middle on defense and more desirous of stretch bigs and guys who can switch onto wings.

I’d like to believe that Ainge shares my ideas about roster construction when it comes to bigs. The guy you pony up the big dollars for is one who can defend in the post but also switch onto smaller players and defend out to the perimeter, while being a positive on offense beyond the paint. Most often, this is going to be a guy who you can start at power forward and shift to center in a smallball lineup. Almost every other big shouldn’t be getting more than the MLE because you can find much cheaper players to mostly the same things. You definitely shouldn’t be giving a large contract to the kind of center who can be played off the floor by a good smallball lineup. Until Ainge finds that versatile big like Draymond Green or Anthony Davis, he’s going to go with center by committee with several options who don’t make a ton.

That’s a ton of verbiage and I could write just as much on the things I think Ainge does well as a GM, so I will stop for now.

1 Like

It’s a fact: That’s why he signed Horford.

Oh, yeah, a lot of anti-smallball Celtics fans kept yammering that Horford is a power forward and not a center. I feel like his tenure in Philly proved them wrong. I mean, there are Celtics fans who wanted to trade for Andre Drummond.

I would still take those Celtics fans over Philly fans, though.

https://twitter.com/AnnaHorford/status/1329195756759232512

oh sure Giannis was playing in a pretty obscure league too. Though the narrative atlanta really wanted him is obv crap since they didn’t bother trying to trade up for him.

Hayward opts out - feel that is a huge win for Boston. I guess he must have just really hated Boston.

It’s not tho (probably).

They were over the cap regardless so they lose the asset for nothing. It’s either a financial move (benefits the owner alone next year) or Ainge thinks they don’t have a shot at contention and since they have a roster crunch anyway it’s better than giving him an extension when big money ones for Brown and Tatum loom. They mutually extended the deadline to attempt to facilitate a deal that could benefit both parties (meaning losing him for nothing wasn’t optimal).

Him not accepting the option next year only helps in terms of freeing up minutes.

1 Like

On it’s face it seems bad for him financially but we’ll see what’s out there.

I think 1/34 is better than ~4/80 but players don’t feel that way a lot of the time, and he’s coming off multiple injures ldo.

I’m back and forth on a Hayward for Myles Turner trade. The 2 big experiment with a new Pacers coach who wants to play fast doesn’t make sense. Pacers fans seem vocally against it, but we are in desperate need of a good wing.

The Knicks are going after him? That seems real dumb.

The knicks aren’t strangers to dumb ideas

2 Likes

If the Knicks pursued what looks like a smart idea, I would have to reassess and try to figure out if there is something I am missing that actually makes it a dumb idea.