National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/TonyCMKE/status/1635857292003254272

I feel personally attacked by this Onion joke.

Some of us just love 90s basketball, damn it!

2 Likes

LOL @ that Embiid overturn. Dude is bulldozing people like Shaq in the bullyball era.

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/1636186333348614144

That would be a foul on the defense 100% of the time for Giannis. Even if Mobley was impaled by the stanchion.

Disgusting. And unsurprising.

Probably would have held if the defender hadn’t launched himself 40 feet

https://mobile.twitter.com/thrillathechase/status/1636081224610611201

2 Likes

I’m not sure it should have been reversed, but also think proper call was no-foul. Yeah, he slightly extended his arm, but defender completely flopped and I’m guessing that type of contact happens on tons of plays as is uncalled.

It does look more egregious since it was his 6th and had huge effect on outcome of game.

1 Like

It looks like Mobley’s feet were in a shuffle and not both in contact with the ground when Embiid made contact. I don’t think he flopped so much as he lost balance. I also don’t think the contact was overly excessive even though it appeared that way due to the reaction.

Idk if you watched the game but there were tons of offensive fouls called and the Cavs were doing that exaggerated whiplash on every other possession.

I didn’t watch the game, so have to confess ignorance on gameflow and “how the game was being called”, but I did see a comment from Cleveland’s coach after the game criticizing the foul baiting tactics of Harden and Embiid, so I guess I can understand why they may have adopted defensive tactics to mitigate that.

Yea I think its’s fair to say their strat was likely a reaction to the typical Embiid and Harden tricks.

It was his 7th or 8th foul though. The League set up this weird position where there’s a massive asymmetry in contact allowed, and it seems like several marquee players figured out they can reap by just bull charging defenders. It’s starting to look like trash 90s NBA again except with all of the phantom contact protections for shooters still in place.

Luka and Giannis are by far the greatest beneficiaries of this.

I remember hearing about the Jordan rules, but that was amateur hour comparatively.

Kind of agree and I think it’s weird how in pro sports the stars get the friendlier calls. Like shouldn’t it be the other way around? If you are an inferior player you have to manage both the talent disparity and a skewed whistle.

Then again this is how it works in real life as well.

What it should be is called consistently all the time. For everybody.

Some of Embiid’s games are just comical. Against Boston he had 1 foul in 40 minutes and 18 FTs… and they still managed to lose.

The MVP talk is more comical given that Jokic leads the league in PER, WS, WS48, BPM, VORP, and is already an all-time great having one of his best seasons on a first-place team.

Advanced stats are for nerds. Perk said Joker man bad.

Carry the hell on…