National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

Those are all 1st round picks?

Yeah. Cavs rolls into a 2nd round if they miss the playoffs I think.

I donā€™t hate a team deciding not to tank.

Itā€™s one thing not to tank when youā€™re at least making the playoffs, but Wizards even with Beal are just hoping for a first round exit and are likely to miss playoffs altogether.

Betting odds have Wizards as currently fourth longest shot to win the East, so looks like they are tanking just not intentionally.

1 Like

I definitely like Ja, but I talk shit on any player thats a rival to Curry lol.

I donā€™t think Grizz are better without him, but I think theyā€™re a much different team, and its close. Tyus probably 2nd best backup PG besides Poole in my opinion, his AST/TO ratio is better than CP3, and their defense is like 8 points better.

If he can get his defense up to average though, Grizz going to be hard to beat.

1 Like

Getting stuck in that play in spot forever is basketball hell. You still suck and you never get any good lottery picks. Would much rather my team tank and try to get lucky and get a great player in the lottery.

Itā€™s only hell if you think all that matters is rings. I think some teams should aim lower and just try to put together a few years as a low-level playoff team that doesnā€™t come close to the Finals.

utah jazz appear to have executed this flawlessly for decades

Without looking deeply I think heā€™s the best except for maybe Brogdon (who is a 1/2). Poole is a 2 guard but really thereā€™s just guards, forwards, and bigs now. And even then thereā€™s a ton of swing 2/3s (DeRozan, Butler, Klay, Jaylen Brown) and 4/5s (Giannis/AD).

Jones is clearly a point guard (1), in style not just stature. Iā€™m kind of surprised heā€™s back on Memphis and he reminds me of Travis Best (in regards to place itl) if anyone here knows the name. I donā€™t think heā€™s actually good enough to start other than as a temporary Ryan Fitzpatrick type thing. Heā€™s the best of the Cory Joseph/Ish Smith types.

1 Like

1st year Spurs fans get to watch a tank that I can remember.

Excited to be in the Wembanyama sweepstakes. College bball going to be extra fun watching this year with Arkansas having 3 1andD lottery picks.

Small market teams that would have financial difficulty if they were very bad for a long time are who I am thinking of. New Orleans, for example, should just try to make the playoffs and stay viable enough to not have to move rather than maximizing Zionā€™s ability to win a title.

1 Like

I wouldā€™ve categorized utah as one of those teams but maybe they have some big cult following Iā€™m not aware of. in 48 seasons theyā€™ve made the playoffs 32 times and only made the finals twice and it wasnā€™t particularly close either time (to be fair though, they lost to the GOAT bulls and one of the GOAT lakers teams)

Pacers, Grizzlies, TWolves all fall into this category.

Sacramento too but they just canā€™t get there. Maybe this year!

3 Likes

That was a seriously great set-up.

4 Likes

The thing with Utah is at least you could be excited because they looked like a good team during the regular season for a lot of those runs.

Magic is like .500 record and everyone knows they arenā€™t good.

Different levels of excitement. Itā€™s not just about rings, itā€™s about being able to be excited for your team. Iā€™d be way more excited for a tanking team developing young talent you can watch grow than I would be for the magic.

1 Like

Unpopular take:

Championships as the be all and end all is kind of absurd and the reason lots of teams donā€™t follow the extremely simple tank + draft build strategy (somehow billion dollar organizations cant work this one out?) is the people who care so much about that donā€™t go to games really anyway.

Entertainment is kind of the be all and end all. 90 close games a year is a fantastic result. Sucking for years is a lot less fantastic, and a lot less profitable.

4 Likes

Check out Standles

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1545780741954478081

3 Likes

This ORL/SAC summer league game I put on is great, going to 2nd OT right now which is sudden death LOL

EDIT: Crowd is hilarious, giving a standing ovation to Banchero trying to score first, he turns it over, then the crowd loudly boos SAC for calling timeout

EDIT2: A challenge in sudden death OT, never doubt the NBA to prolong the end of games

Lol Steph is the best.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/vvdrln/steph_didnt_want_anything_to_do_with_that_ball/

Warriors vs Grizz might be the best rivalry in basketball right now. You know the games next year going to be hype as hell. You know Ja going to hit him with the night night when they win.

Richard Jefferson is reffing this POR/NYK game, I have no idea why