National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/PatBoylanPacers/status/1470486152478138379?s=20

1 Like

I believe I’ve seen that the increase in three point shots has come mainly at the expense of long twos and the frequency of shorter distance shots has not changed much.

Stating the obvious, but the thing that sets Steph apart from the other elite shooters isn’t that he’s so much of a better three-point shooter, it’s that he can do whatever the fuck he wants AND still shoot over 40%. He has handles and quickness, so he just fucks up defenders one-on-one. He can launch from anywhere. He has different release points, depending on how quickly he has to get a shot up - sometimes I see him shoot one and it looks like an old video game with shitty animation where it looks like the ball is just coming out of his chin or something.

Even if they shot the same volume, Reggie Miller and Ray Allen couldn’t do what Steph does. They are hyper-elite HOFers, obviously, but Steph is on entirely other planet.

4 Likes

This is an outstanding description.

What’s crazy to me is dudes like Hubert Davis who was 45% shooting 3s for his career and nobody ever thought “hmm 45% 3s seems conducive to winning basketball games, maybe he should attempt more than 2-3 a game.”

2 Likes

My favorite running subplot on the interwebs is your love of Hubert.

Seems like a work became a shoot.

Agreed, made me think of:

1 Like

Antoine Walker, who wasn’t a good shooter, at least understood the math:

Reporter: Why do you shoot so many 3s?

Walker: Because there are no 4s.

(had no idea Hubert Davis was 45% for his career, that is wild)

2 Likes

In the 90s, Steve Kerr had some seasons where he was batting over .500 on 3s and still never had a season where he averaged 3 or more 3-point attempts per game.

Not sure Walker applied his mathematical skills to his financial endeavors

1 Like

Ha, I think it’s my fascination with the idea that Hubert was shooting 3s better than a lot of guys were shooting 2s and coaches still couldn’t figure out that 3 > 2, and Hubert is my poster boy for that.

lol - Bucks finally get DDV back tonight and now Middleton is out (hyperextended knee last game) and Giannis is in protocols. Boogie is out, too, for a personal matter.

Would love to see Larry Bird playing today.

KD on a roll

DAL/LOL is great, what a chuck by Russ

Nice travel

3 Likes

Cover

3 Likes

Jason Kidd jumps hard up the list until he hits three and then falls off too.

Ha Durant. Also what about Harrison Barnes