Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

cEncounters

I like how the Zardoz poster fires shots at two of the most iconic sci-fi properties out there. That’s a lot of chutzpah.

Make sure you watch “Moon” if you haven’t already.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that bad boy more times than Sam Rockwell starred in the movie. Very good.

16 posts were split to a new topic: Anime sureddo: アニメスレッド (discuss your favorite anime)

He’s looking for new stuff, so I am grinding through things I’m confident neither of us has seen.

I made a list after that post of 18 movies and am going through them one by one. I’ve seen a couple of really good ones so far. If even a few of them hold up, the collection will be like we built our own Black Mirror Season 6 out of other people’s movies or episodes of TV. All similar sorts of concepts.

Also building a much shorter list that will be more Twilight Zone sci-fi than Black Mirror tech-based premises.

23 posts were split to a new topic: Tenet

Can anybody help me remember the title of a movie? It was some sort of sci-fi thriller/horror thing, set on like a space base on a planet in our solar system, I think? there were only a few people at the base, I think it was a man and his wife and another guy. The base was like underground, mostly consisting of tunnels and stuff. The people had plug jacks in the base of their skulls. The third person was trying to steal the woman from the first man.

I think the title was Saturn something or something along those lines. 1980s or earlier. ???

You’ve summed up every Nolan film I’ve seen. Some have still been enjoyable but I won’t bother with this one, thanks. I mean, if the sound is fucked and the visuals are fucked there isn’t going to be much to fall back onto.

1 Like

I will the next time he brings up something but can’t think of any examples off hand. He just seems to like the most mass marketed fiction and whenever given a choice between multiple movies he will always pick the worst one. Like everyone is naming all these great sci-fi movies from the last 10 years, you know which one he keeps telling me about? Ender’s Game, which he also had me read and then told me he didn’t like the ending which seemed to me to be the only decent part of the whole book.

He also didn’t like Frozen for completely bizarre and illogical reasons and as the father of a toddler who has watched it probably 20 times I legitimately think it’s one of the best animated films ever.

2 Likes

Watching this now

It’s definitely an emotional rollercoaster for me. Most of you have been living it. So it’s nothing new here. I had to pause a few times because listening to racists being racist while claiming not to be racist is insanely infuriating.

Just the complete lack of awareness of the implications of what some of these people are saying is nuts. The stupidity is mind-blowing.

1 Like

Finally saw Palm Springs because I got the $2/month special Hulu deal. Wow. What a great movie. Funny (of course, it’s Andy Samberg), but did a wonderful job at succinctly getting at the existential issues with the meaning of life.

Also, the grandmother reveal at the end!

By the way, in case anyone was wondering about pulling the trigger on the Hulu deal, even though it’s the ad-supported version, there were no ad breaks during the movie. I think there was one before it. We watched a TV episode and there were ad breaks, but not as long as would normally be on TV.

2 Likes

Here’s a movie that didn’t rate very highly which I really enjoyed. Only gets 5.5 but I think it’s a solid 7.

I hate it and I can’t wait

We watched this and absolutely loved it. It was pretty funny and super heart-warming. I’m a sucker for romantic comedies and this one is top tier for sure. The cast is unreal, just wall to wall amazing actors. Has a few silly scenes but a couple just absolutely genius ones.

It got pretty dusty towards the end.

Grade: B+

2 Likes

This will be the next date night with the wife movie. Thanks.

2 Likes

I probably understood 30% of his lines when I saw it in theaters. I suspect it was more of an issue with the mixing or the theater sound system, though, as I understand him fine when I watch it on tv.

1 Like

Maybe they let an audio engineer remix his voice for every home release. Subtle changes so we think it was always comprehensible.