Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

TIL The Academy is something you can resign from. Yesterday I learned The Academy had disciplinary powers.

Next you’ll tell me they have classes and semesters and rookie classes.

They have a museum now! Corner of Wilshire and Fairfax next to LACMA. Worth a visit.

1 Like

Ah, last time I was in town I crossed Wilshire there and that corner building was under construction. Now I know why. There’s an entire day of touristy shit just on that one block stretch of Miracle Mile.

1 Like

I’d like to announce that I’m removing myself for every being considered for THE ACADEMY due to their reaction to the Will Smith fiasco. Thank you.

3 Likes

31 posts were split to a new topic: Framed (name that movie)

My kid and I went on a college-tour roadtrip and watched a bad movie every night so we could listen to the How Did This Get Made episode in the car the next day. We saw:

The Lake House - Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock in a mess of a movie. More boring-bad than fun-bad, but fun enough to be worth watching if you want to listen to the podcast.

After Earth - In honor of The Slap (movie stars Will and Jaden Smith). I would avoid this one, it’s just a bad movie.

Monkey Shines - 1980s George Romero horror-adjacent thriller about a guy who gets paralyzed and is gifted a trained monkey by his friend to help him out. I’m not even sure how bad this movie is , but it is absolutely bonkers. Features a young Stanley Tucci and a young Stephen Root. I think I’d recommend watching it even if you’re not going to listen to the podcast, if you’re into crazy shit.

3 Likes

I haven’t listened to that podcast forever, but I used to religiously and always loved it. Going to have to get back in.

I thought The Lake House was decent.

Like many other horror movies of the time, Monkey Shines had cool VHS box art. Not a terrible movie if you’re in the mood for a “late night feature” kind of flick.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Framed (name that movie)

Good article on aphasia. From reading it, sounds like my grandmother had a form of it after her first stroke. Among other issues, she forgot how to speak. She relearned pretty well and much faster than I thought she would, but still sometimes had problems finding the right words, which was really frustrating for her.

It seems pretty clear that Bruce has advanced dementia and “aphasia” is a euphemism they’re going with.

Monkey Shines wins the award for movie cover art at Blockbuster that gave me the most nightmares as a kid

I’m barely following this at all, but this seems likely to be correct.

If it’s advanced it has progressed rather quickly (unless he had a stroke or head injury no one was aware of), since in 2018 his family participated in his Comedy Central roast, which they wouldn’t have done if he was already struggling.

I guess “advanced dementia” was probably a bit more than I’m speculating. Let’s change Trolly’s guess to noticeable dementia.

Whatever it is it seems much more than just trouble communicating, from that article Bruce seems to be confused and totally out of it when he’s on set.

Four years ago my uncle still remembered my name and could at least tell a few jokes and try to hold down a conversation. Now he’s in a home where he has no idea what’s going on and can’t walk.

He has some kind of swift-acting dementia. I think it was only 5-6 years ago that his family had to have an intervention to stop him from going into the CPA firm he owned, where he would pester the workers asking the same questions over and over.

1 Like

Dementia can be weird like that. People can be in the early and middle stages for years and then blow through severe dementia to death in a matter of weeks. Others will rapidly lose most of their cognitive capacity and then stay that way for a decade. Time frames and symptoms can vary widely.