Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

When you see a movie at a theater where you’re in it, do you jump up and scream “THAT’S ME!!!”

Because I would

No thanks. I have tried to have data-centered conversations with you before and it was not fun or productive for me. No worries if that means I’m just yelling at Muppets instead of clouds.

I hold a Q&A afterward.

My main problem with Master and Commander is the derth of female roles. I would love to see a reboot where instead of landing at lol Galapagos, they visit Mermaid Island.

2 Likes

The MCU is the MAGA of the film world. :grinning:

And everyone who enjoys them are Nazis!

2 Likes

It’s not like the MCU has stopped incredible movies from being made over the past few years, we’re still awash in great stuff. Just don’t watch 'em.

The evidence shows that is exactly what has happened. Lots of films are not being made that would be prior to the MCU.

Anyway, I’ve made my point.

I’ll say I am taking great happiness that the MCU seems to be failing miserably now and the all the current films are being rated as terrible even by previous fans. Hopefully we will look back at this era soon.

1 Like

I finally saw Tar last Sunday, and I think the problem with it was the marketing. If they’d gone with something like “Come for the lesbophobia; stay for the anti-Semitism” then the MAGA crowd would’ve flocked to the fucking thing.

I think the problem right now with the MCU is that there’s too much of it. Through Endgame, each movie was a special event. Even the worst ones were still entertaining and fit well into the decade-long story. And it all culminated with some fantastic stuff.

Now there’s a billion shows that you have to watch to understand things in the movies and it just gets to be too much. Feels like homework. I loved the MCU movies, but haven’t seen a few of of the newer ones (saw Black Panther and Spider-Man). We signed up for Disney+, but already got burned out part way through Falcon and Winter Soldier (Wandavision was great, though).

In all seriousness, there are lots of good pieces online making a strong case the politics of the MCU are deeply right and pro-military. I’ve only seen a couple early films so can’t say I agree or disagree.

It is dramatic. They’d probably make a movie about it if the damn MCU wasn’t ruining cinema.

3 Likes

I’m thinking it’s a taxi driver/scream cross over where an increasingly more unlikely series of vengeful film nerds kill off film execs. Of course, it will result in endless sequels pushing out more good films. It will have lots of CGI too.

Scream 6

It’s passable. Not terrible but not great. The troupes are certainly losing their ability to surprise. Even if you don’t guess who ghostface is you know for sure their motive.

Grade C+

You’re describing how they messed up the star wars movies that very few people like!

The marvel movies are generally liked by their fanbase.

A big problem for someone with your taste is the lack of up and coming film makers. I’d imagine a bunch of your favorite films are from young, ambitious directors.

How many have we had recently? Coogler, Zhao, Chazelle, Peele are some big names that started with small films. But the existence of marvel films didn’t stop these directors from getting La La Land or judas and the black messiah from being made. I’d bet that Zhao and Coogler making hundreds of millions for Disney gets them a film or two financed they might not otherwise.

Jordan Peele got Get Out made in this climate. It’s not impossible, it’s just a sea change as Rivaldo said.

But, you need some good directors under 40 to tell the stories of this generation.

Sure a few directors will benefit but what about the films they are nor making while spending a decade making capeman 11.

It’s not all bad. An argument can be made cinemas only still exist due to these films so I’ll take them for that.

Blockbusters have been a part of the film landscape since the 70s. My complaint isn’t theirs existence. My complaint is their dominance.

For the record, I like some blockbusters and my favourite film of all time is a sequel.

I dont think even my favorite directors have endless ideas that they will never have time for. Even at worst they can do a Tarantino and give their True Romance to someone else talented.

I like the comic book movies that aren’t pure shit. Do I also wish there were 10 more people like Jordan Peele, Coogler, Chazelle etc? Of course. Get Out and La La Land were very fun theatre experiences. Whiplash is one of my favorite movies of the 2010s.

But these kinds of people have always been rare.
Even their most recent films, Babylon and Nope were not really loved.

1 Like

Is it Sharknado 5: Global Swarming?

4 Likes

I would have guessed Leprachaun: Back 2 Da Hood

2 Likes

We champion and celebrate the things that matter to us.

My latest piece with TRANSlating Everything shows what matters to me, what I hope to cultivate in the world, and the good work the MCU is doing to make that better world come to fruition.

https://medium.com/translating-everything/she-hulk-stunt-woman-comes-out-swinging-for-trans-women-bbac75b15e9e?sk=2018049e51b60a3e17a5efd9d6a340bf

Y’all remember She-Hulk?

How about what the stunt person behind her green-skinned incarnation said about trans women?

But wait, wait, wait…surely you also remember that time She-Hulk was played by a man?