Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Somehow WHMS has wormed itself into my brain reference-wise more than any other 80s era movie. Any time I’m playing some stupid party game involving guessing stuff, either I or my wife is a lock to blurt out “baby fish mouth” at some point. And whenever we’re not responding to each other’s texts right away or something there’s always a reference to being trapped under something heavy.

2 Likes

My child, you are finally ready.

On the day of filming the iconic scene, Rob stepped in after Meg Ryan’s first take to show her what he wanted.

Rob: “Meg let me just show you what I want.’”

Crystal: “So Rob proceeds to have an orgasm. He’s pounding and pounding on the table. Those little spice balls on pickles — they’re flying everywhere. I’m thinking, ‘I pity the woman who has to go through this.’”

Ryan: “It was a hard act to follow.”

Crystal: “I was getting a little excited actually. So Rob takes me aside and goes, “Buddy, I shouldn’t have done that. I just had an orgasm in front of my mother.”

https://medium.com/@TransgenderSoapbox/when-harry-met-harry-14f44a3c585?sk=05ae1af4e4995f9ce44bbabcffccf923

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d have an audience for it, but I’d delight in watching the movie again to highlight why it is infinitely superior on a script level to the first movie. It does the impossible of transforming everything I don’t enjoy about the first movie into payoffs for the second. The mirrored elements for me aren’t redundant. They’re essential to why the sequel carries a surprising emotional resonance beyond nostalgia.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ZSharf/status/1630248896801718277

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1630029443447025664

1 Like

The original Top Gun is fun for me because of all the homoerotic stuff, cheesy songs, Tom Cruise shaking his fist at the plane, mostly nostalgia. The new one was a fine action movie but I feel like I forget it 2 seconds after leaving the theater.

But I didn’t expect anything otherwise. Top Gun is all about the time and place and nostalgia for me. You can’t recreate that.

Yeah as someone who somehow managed to miss the hype with the original Top Gun, only seeing it well after the fact and recognizing it for what it was (a pretty flimsy paint by numbers plot held together by charaismatic acting), I can recognize Maverick as being objectively a much better movie.

But sure, I get the mystique about being brought back to the time you first saw it and being unable to detach. Like for example, I can expertly tear apart all six prequel and sequel Star Wars movies, but am damn near completely blind to any faults in the original trilogy (or at best I recognize them but my counter argument is just “yeah but it’s just so cool” or something).

1 Like

This. The original is legit terrible. The new one is great.

I guess why I had no emotional resonance is because I thought every single character (besides maybe Val Kilmer) was between moderately and extremely unlikable. Like, why should I be rooting for these assholes?

1 Like

Some of you have really lost that lovin’ feeling.

8 Likes

They’re cocky but learn to look out for each other and work as a team!

1 Like

You gotta like the character in order to enjoy the movie??

I hate it when they do that.

2 Likes

Yeah, we went over a month ago how amazing movies like Nightcrawler are.

I dont want to be friends with the protagonist.

1 Like

No, but:

Yeah, Nightcrawler is great. But I never got the idea that the Jake Gyllenhall character isn’t anything but awful. We would all despise a real life version of him, and that is very clear through the storytelling of the movie.

With Top Gun Maverick, I got the feeling that we’re apparently supposed to unironically root for these jackoffs.

1 Like

I don’t want to be friends with any of those assholes, but man if you’re not rooting for Ice and Maverick when they reveal just how much both have grown since that first movie…

Hell yeah I rooted for those jackoffs.

1 Like

Original Top Gun isn’t a masterpiece, but it had good photography, really good aerial sequences for the time, and a couple bangers on the soundtrack.

Top gun (either) is a movie. It’s not cinema.

1>2
The other pilots plus the leaders of the school
The music-just cause it was original
Beach scene- for its long term lolz and wowz

2>1
Penny- much more believable story than the lady instructor.
Aerial scenes but that is great great vs just great
The Star Wars ripping off
Official Brass Iceman vs the guy on the ship

Top Gun for NES may be the worst game I’ve ever played for hours and hours.

This video makes me nearly dizzy with nostalgia.

6 Likes

Big Man Japan is a 2009 slice-of-life documentary that follows the not-so glamorous life of professional kaiju fighter Dai Saito. Free with ads on Tubi. It’s slow-paced with lots of interesting shots of small, run-down Japanese towns. Good movie to chill out to, very similar in a lot of ways to Trollhunter, which is always a strong recommendation.

Home alone 2 the video game. Last second impulse buy at the register for the kids $49.99. Everyone beat it in under half an hour.

Side scroller dodging garbage can lids. No Trump that I can remember. Literally thought we were missing something.