Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

If you like Ronin, you may want to check out Spartan, another spy thriller by Mamet starring Val Kilmer.

2 Likes

Appreciate you two!! Searching is GOAT. Looking forward to checking out their follow up.

Election is a masterpiece. Itā€™s The Godfather of Hong Kong cinema.

1 Like

We watched Glass Onion and Banshees of Insherin this weekend and loved both :heart:

4 Likes

Though I still would have preferred Billy Bob Thornton in Daniel Craigā€™s role but I complained elsewhere about this regarding the first movie

And youā€™ll be wanting to have your fecking captions on for banshees unless you be from ireland or uk or know the culture well, so

Banshees might be the most stunned/quiet movie theater exit Iā€™ve ever seen of a large crowd. Not sure if most people didnā€™t know to expect some of that stuff or people were just super out of it.

2 Likes

Whale was like that

1 Like

Watched Expendables. I liked it more than I expected. I liked the gearhead world they created, and the plane itself is an awesome character. Coolest scene was Stratham popping out of the front of the plane for their dive attack.

Two of my biggest action movie pet peeves though:

#1 - Girl gets drug along by bad guy, runs with him, when she could just go limp and foil his plans. Ok yes sheā€™d be risking death. But going with Eric Roberts to the helicopter was also certain death. And this was a tough girl until that point, not some shrinking violet.

#2 - All the bad guys keep fighting until the very last one of them dies. Iā€™m sorry but the regular army guys would just run off into the jungle after seeing the Expendables kill 50-100 of their guys. Which I think they could even make into a cool scene. But no, 100s of his compatriots are dead all around him, and one army guy is still taking potshots at these indestructible superheroes instead of just running away.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve said this here before, but that scene where Micky Rourke shows up has absolutely no business being as good as it is. I come in to see a doofy action movie with has-beens who are supposed to be just cashing checks but then suddenly this movie starts swinging for the fences with Rourke putting everything heā€™s got into it like itā€™s his swan song like that dude from The Wrestler and I just donā€™t know if this was a work or a shoot, brother.

5 Likes

Yeah that was a great scene.

1 Like

Finally watched this and holy crap it is the clear favorite for Best Picture.

The filmmakers said it is 100% a response to The Matrix, and I gotta say that was indeed how Iā€™d describe the wtf you can do that in a movie?!?! kind of experience I had.

3 Likes

I posted way earlier in this thread I didnā€™t see how it could win best picture. Largely because of itā€™s release date, and just how wild it was.

Now I think it is a near lock.

Latest odds

2023 BEST PICTURE ODDS

Everything Everywhere All At Once -225
The Banshees of Inisherin +200
Top Gun Maverick +650
The Fabelmans +900

EEAAO has gone from +500 before golden globes/nominations to -225.

3 Likes

Glad to hear my review moved the needle.

9 Likes

Lol Fablemans dropping like a stone

1 Like

Good.

I wonā€™t really be happy with a Banshees BP win, but it wouldnā€™t be a Green Book level travesty if it won the way a Fabelmans win would be.

2 Likes

Just a devastating line:

https://twitter.com/wrathsemilia/status/1609235712452198401

1 Like

I think its THIS version of Waymond that really seals the awards for Quan. Hes obviously great in all the others, but this one solidifies his pure acting chops.

So good

2 Likes

Whatā€™s kinda nuts is that, completely coincidentally, right after I posted that clip, I did some laundry and taxes with my wife.

2 Likes

Maybe they should just give it to Anthony Hopkins.

Likeā€¦a movie he was in?

Nah, the actor.

Let him sleep through another award and then livestream his first cup of coffee.

1 Like