Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Thor Ragnarok was legitimately hilarious to me. Probably my favorite MCU yet.

3 Likes

Whats best documentary for entertainment? How about educational for either science or leftist stuff.

Itā€™s the only good MCU movie.

2 Likes

Requesting your thoughts on Big Bang Theory

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0287813/

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had it on waiting for an NBA game to startā€¦ itā€™s not funny.

Ragnarok is by far the best Marvel movie, some absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous shots and they werenā€™t afraid to go full prog rock for the soundtrack. Itā€™s like they turned van art into a movie, just incredible stuff. God, I need to watch this movie again.

2 Likes

He is just incredible. I donā€™t know where they found him but I hope they keep him working because he might get forgotten otherwise and that would be a tragedy. His little fat friend was also magnificent right??

King of Kong for entertainment

2 Likes

We got a kill screen coming up!

1 Like

I have only ever seen iron man 1 and the two deadpools. I thought deadpool 1 was good.

If you like Taika stuff (what we do in the shadows, Jojo rabbit) you might not hate it. It has more personality than the other marvel movies, taika got to do what he wanted.

1 Like

Superhero movies are not for me. I also hold a special level of hatred for those that suck up our most talented and original directors like Taika. The years these people spend making these movies is time they are not making original art.

Thatā€™s not how the industry works. Thats also not how these people feel. Taika has acted in multiple superhero movies! He likes them! David Fincher tried really hard to direct the Spiderman movies that went to Sam Raimi! Fincher is as pretentious a director as we have and he really wanted to do one.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by thatā€™s not how the industry works. Middle budget films are going extinct because of these endless Star Wars and MCU movies.

Every minute Fincher spends trying to make a superhero movies is a waste of his time, in my opinion. Iā€™m not swayed because they like them. The vast majority of people love superhero movies. They make billions, but I donā€™t find that a very convincing argument as to their artistic value.

1 Like

Directing a big budget movie that makes a billion dollars is much, much more likely to give a director free reign to do what they want in the future. Thatā€™s not even arguable.

If middle budget movies had the ROI of others, theyā€™d be fine. ā€œStudios are focusing on movies that make them moneyā€ has always been a weird argument to be against, especially as we see multiple on the verge of financial ruin.

1 Like

It is arguable. In fact the evidence shows the opposite. These people donā€™t make more original film after entering the MCU. They make less for the reasons you point out. They canā€™t be commercially successful anymore.

The idea that Marvel is somehow stopping indie films from getting made is pretty absurd.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a widely held opinion among industry and economists. A Google search will generate dozens of articles analyzing the trend. Also not indie, middle budget.

2 Likes