Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Combo breaker

1 Like

Deleting your post is almost worth a thread dedicated to my abuse of power

Are you familiar with the death of Mussolini?

Trying to get a Movie Fight Scenes Draft going. Click here to join up

1 Like

A grisly death as violent as his life

Just re-watched this a few weeks a go and man it holds up so well. Amazing movie.

Still drawing live for that.

1 Like

Do we watch Nomadland or I Care a Lot tonight?

We watched Nomadland last night. Very well directed, but I don’t get the Best Picture hype at all.

Bliss

On Amazon Prime.

2/10

Serious waste of time. I guess it was supposed to be a version of a person is shown two different worlds and has to decide which one is true, but the movie continuously keeps throwing in new things in the plot all the time. Poor Selma Hayak is running around shouting acronyms and spouting techno babble unto the last 10 minutes. It’s never a good sign when one character says to another with 15 minutes left in the movie “I feel like you’re making stuff up” and I agree with them!

Not even a so bad it’s good category, just plain terrible.

Just finished this one. Greenland has the meatiest meteors. Five bags of corn!! Good from beginning to end with just a couple of Too Stupid to Live character moments.

Palm Springs

Premise: Like Ground Hog day, but both the protagonist and the love interest fall into the time loop together?

8/10

I enjoyed this. Andy Sandburg is a great actor and Cristin Milioti is even better. The sun drenched is a character unto itself (lucky Californians) .

4 Likes

Started watching I Care a Lot, didn’t finish but

God damn Marla Grayson pisses me off because I know thats a thing that happens IRL, probably a lot. I got about halfway through hoping she would be tortured and killed or in prison and just tilted and closed it because I can tell she gets away with it. Thats not the movie I want to watch. I know real life is fucked up and evil and sometimes in my movies about pure evil I need some fucking justice. Not that torture or death would be justice IRL obv, but in a movie setting.

I watched this the other night not knowing anything about it (thought it was a standard romcom) and loved it, I’m not a Samberg fan at all but he was great.

Showed my kids Waiting for Guffman over the weekend. Not as great as I remember, tbh. We certainly laughed - I’m sure there were jokes that were over their heads - but I have a feeling it might be the weakest of the Christopher Guest mockumentaires. I remember Dog Show and A Mighty Wind being really good, so I look forward to introducing my kids to those. Obviously, This is Spinal Tap is on the list.

Based on my experience, your kids will like “Best in Show” the most

Yeah, most likely. I started with Guffman simply because it was available on one of the services we already pay for.

My wife is really big on “family movie night,” but with a 12 and 14-year-old, it’s tough to drag them away from friends/games. She always wants to show them shit like 13 Going on 30 and I keep telling her you gotta go with something you know is really good and can appeal to both of them.

Every one of my picks is a winner. Guffman lagged slightly, so now my wife insists she gets to choose next (my daughter actually chose Guffman from a few options). She’s totally going to go with Crazy Rich Asians or You’ve Got Mail, when I say Total Recall or even Austin Powers will be better.

EDIT: My oldest is the bigger problem (when it comes to movies, that is), since she’s at the age where she wants to hang out with her friends (virtually) and not her parents and little brother. dlk9s jr would watch anything with me. If I say it’s good, he believes it’s good. It helps that all I do is pick good movies.