Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Mandy

I’d been wanting to see this for a long time. Huge letdown. I don’t understand why this gets so much hype.

Ultra slow pacing didn’t work for me at all.
The film is too in love with its own aesthetics and completely forgets its movie star. Cage is basically absent the first 75 mins. Then it seems like it will pick up but it doesn’t really. NC only has like 5 lines of dialogue (all perfectly delivered btw).

There’s a scene where Cage picks up a chainsaw to fight a bad guy, who turns out to have…a longer chainsaw. This could have been a great scene but it was only a pretty good one. The very final scene of the film is good though.

Anyway…looks like now I have to re-watch Face/off for some actual Nic Cage action :slightly_smiling_face:

Zombieland 2 is fun enough. Just there was no chance it would be better than the original. But its still worth a watch.

https://twitter.com/MoodyKnowsNada/status/1354460623640342532

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AdamSandler/status/1361791030757007360

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ShooterMcGavin_/status/1361807116294639619?s=2

3 Likes

Dare I say it?

This looks… good? Or goodish at least

I thought the same!!! The stuff with Sub-Zero and Scorpion looks great.

The stuff with everyone else looks campy af, but the original was great despite having a substantial amount of camp too.

Did you watch any of the short films that came out over the last ten years??

Boogie Nights

Good, and I recommend, but something always felt off like it wanted to be a Taratino video, minus the ultra gore. The comedy and drama all worked but felt 5% off.

Master and Commander

Still one of the best movies. Ultimate failure that they didn’t make sequels. The pace and timing, the atmosphere it all works so well

2 Likes

Judas and the Black Messiah

Rage inducing movie. Fuck America and fuck 12.

2 Likes

Extremely well done film though.

1 Like

I see Master and Commander mentioned around here all the time but I’ve never seen it, will have to change that maybe I can convince the wife to watch it tonight

2 Likes

So I’m not sure if this is good or bad. But a while back I mentioned to Mrs Cooler that we should watch that movie since I’ve never seen it. She told me emphatically that we had seen it in the movie theatre together when it came out. We got into a playful back and forth about seeing it/not seeing it/ who was wrong. Then I showed her that it came out in 2003 and she got real quiet. We didn’t meet until 2004 and didn’t start dating til a year after that even.

All this to say that I still haven’t seen the movie since I keep that conversation in my back pocket because it’s one of the few times I’ve gotten her to readily admit she was wrong lol. Hope it’s a good movie for the two of you though!

6 Likes

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

My favorite cheesy 80s movie remade by my favorite current director? How many avenues can you take to put this in my veins?

2 Likes

I liked the Arnold movie too. I watched it again a while back and posted this screenshot since I get tickled when the far-flung future of a movie is in the real life past:

(Note the missing space between “Food,Natural.” I can’t believe they let that get through; however many millions to make the movie and they couldn’t hire a copyeditor, wtf.)

Anyway, my hope for a new film is that they hold the cheese and keep it on the dark side. Sounds like they may:

Deadline notes that Wright’s version, being written by Michael Bacall , is a new adaptation that will stick closer to King’s source material, rather than a remake of the ’87 movie.

Yeah, its going to be a much closer resemblance to the original story than the Arnold version (A version I love and respect for what it is, but not at all as an adaptation), but I trust that with Wright at the helm it will still have some humor that is much needed in what is an incredibly bleak story, though one tinged with a certain type of hopefulness at the end.

1 Like

You gonna “lolwut” but I suspect the reason for the error is because of the limitations on the software used at the time to generate text. The margins were set and if they’d added a space, the software would have separated that line of text so that the last word had to fall on the next line. They needed that block of text to be

COLLAPSED. FOOD,NATURAL RESOURCES
AND OIL ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY. A POLICE

and not

COLLAPSED. FOOD, NATURAL
RESOURCES AND OIL

You mess up one line and suddenly you have to rethink the entire design frame.

It’s silly, but it was probably a copyeditor who inserted the error just because they were thinking about how the audience would digest each line of information according to the grouped block of words.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes