Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

I know right

Itā€™s easy to take things for granted, but at the time Blazing Saddles was made, the existence of black people and Chinese in the Old West was something almost no other cowboy movie portrayed. You donā€™t see black/Chinese/Irish railway workers in John Wayne movies. Truth is, a whole lot of old-timey cowboys were black. Lead Belly had a number of cowboy songs in his catalog.

Of necessity, there are Indians and Mexicans involved in these Westerns, and that was probably considered progressive at the time. But Blazing Saddles is the only movie that lets you know there was a huge population of black/Chinese/Irish laborers on the outskirts of this old-timey Western town.

Blazing Saddles is a classic example of vulgar comedy pointing out uncomfortable truths that respectable films couldnā€™t. I know itā€™s cliche to say ā€œYou couldnā€™t make Blazing Saddles today!ā€ But on the other hand, back in those times you couldnā€™t do a serious remake of the Magnificent Seven with my man Denzel Washington and Korean actor Lee Byung-hun as leads. Back then, a black cowboy hero was an absurd joke, now itā€™s just a stale retread of a samurai movie we cribbed from Kurosawa. Thereā€™s a kind of progress in that.

4 Likes

BIRD BOX | May 25 | Monday | 8pm EST

Iā€™ll finish reading the book in an hour or so and am eager to rewatch the movie for comparison.

1 Like

We going to do uncut gems at some point now it is on the flix?

1 Like

Oh shit.

We could do that tonight after Bird Box. Itā€™s a late-night watch for sure.

Or we could do it as a big night movie for the weekend. As though there is any difference now between a weekday and weekend.

+1 for Uncut Gems on the weekend. Soooo hyped for this movie.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m authorized to declare a movie sign, but can @RiskyFlush maybe set up a Friday night Uncut Gems movie night?

1 Like

What time would you like? Looking forward to it.

maybe same time as the last movie night.

1 Like

yes!! iā€™ll order some coke right now!

2 Likes

UNCUT GEMS
May 29 | Friday | 8pm EST

2 Likes

Nice choice. I finally watched it for the first time on Monday. Great movie.

3 Likes

Yes yes yes

2 Likes

Oh shit I might be in on this.

Not sure though because I do a weekly Netflix Party with my sisters on Saturdays.

What are you guys watching tomorrow??

Iā€™ve been pushing for Uncut Gems which is why Iā€™m on the fence.

Do I watch it with you or my sisters?

Oh that makes sense.

Tough call! Any other options to watch with them?

You could use tomorrowā€™s viewing to refine your commentary/standup comedy for when youā€™re watching it with your sisters.

1 Like

My sisters are docuseries junkies like myself. One proposed episodes of the Epstein docuseries that just came out. They also already saw Uncut Gems.

So Iā€™m buying a few beers to last the weekend. Probably watch Uncut Gems with yā€™all if I can stay awake.

BTW, do any of you have a group chat running somewhere or is it just commenting here?

Also, do you use Netflix Party?

Weā€™ve used Netflix Party for syncing, but itā€™s by and large been a waste for us at Unstuck. We just start the movie at the exact same time.

For discussion, we use this thread. We discussed using something else, but the interface here is GOAT imo. And it helps create more UP content for users to wade through.

Can I Uber Eats you a coffee from overseas???

1 Like