Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

I see a lot of people in the Personal Finance thread taking a bath on their -3x ETFs right now. I missed jumping out and jumping in by a day on each side or I’d be way up right now. But I’m the only one who got out and got back in sort of at the right time.

Anyway I’m mostly joking, it’s probably just luck. But I do think I’m better at seeing through the noise than a lot of people.

Tin cup

2 Likes

Last Boy Scout?

I’m sure you are (no sarcasm).

It was a joke that didn’t land, especially with drunk suzzer.

1 Like

LOVE

Back to the topic at hand, John and Carl just became BFFs

You keep what you kill.

Too many people hate on Tin Cup. Love Cheech Marin in it. The pelican scene and the climactic par 5 are really great sports movie moments.

1 Like

The origins of the Double Tap rule

You know what movie I loved as a kid, this is off the beaten path but Kuffs with Christian Slater.

Easily digestible and felt R at PG13. I also like If Looks Could Kill with Richard Greico.

I have no idea if either hold up but I just got a whiff from the wayback machine. Silverado I know is good, what a cast.

1 Like

And…FIN

Who is gonna watch it next?

A little bit cheating but: Best in Show.

I tried to watch Slap Shot when I was younger but got bored. Should try it again.

Slap shot is VERY 70s. As a hockey fan I should love it, but I’ve never been able to get into it

I don’t know if there’s any 70s movie I really care for besides the Godfathers and A New Hope.

I like earlier eras but all the flash cuts and sound is just so gross. It’s like claymation special effects.

I tried to watch a cut of the last Orson Welles movie recently and it was just yuck. I’m probably spacing something but anything from the era has looked so dated as opposed to classic. Taxi Driver is okay I guess, I haven’t watched it since a teen so I’m not sure.

I loved Waiting for Guffman.

Slap Shot!

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Chinatown
Holy Grail
The Sting
Willy Wonka

2 Likes

Rocky was 1976. Warriors was 1979. But I kind of agree with you. Those movies were like pulling out of the crap phase, not part of it. Most 70s movies sucked. Early 80s weren’t great either.

I think the whole country was in a big malaise as Carter described it. Music sucked, architecture sucked, sports stadiums were round with astroturf. It was like people just accepted that everything was going to get more and more terrible over time and they gave up on having nice things.

There’s a line in My Dinner with Andre - something to the effect that the people of NYC willingly built themselves a prison and now they live in it. And that really was the attitude at the time. Fast forward to the 90s and NYC is all brownstones and romantic comedies like You’ve Got Mail. Complete 180.

1 Like

Good calls.

Mel Brooks movies too.

1 Like

Yeah but late 60s early 70s - I guess you had to be there because Graduate, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, They Shoot Horses Don’t They - that stuff does nothing for me.

But I did like Easy Rider.