Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

One of those movies I’ve watched 10 times but never from start to finish. Is it on one of the big streamers?

BASTARD!

HBO and HBO Max

On the edge of available there.

on netflix, paul thomas anderson directs phillip seymour hoffman, jaquin phoenix and amy adams in a film called The Master which i assume is about golf

3 Likes

I would watch Tyler Perry in Gone Girl again but nothing else. Maybe an Alex Cross hate watch.

1 Like

I’d watch Star Trek again. Vice lacked a killer punch.

1 Like

Oh damn, good call. I forgot he was in that.

The president with a recommendation out of nowhere:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327482020008693760

1 Like

I saw like the first hour of this and enjoyed it but got distracted and never finished it. Seems like great cast with kind of an arthouse vibe.

1 Like

I already watched it but Trial of the Chicago 7 seems like something forum would enjoy.

2 Likes

It’s not good.

I was a big PTA fan after Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood, but all of his movies I’ve seen since have been pretty bad IMO.

Should this be watched next for the lolz?

EDIT: OMFG Netflix is releasing the movie form of Hillbilly Elegy. Will it be cringe comedy or low-quality drama? Let’s find out!

Disagree. PTA doesn’t make bad movies, and Joaquin cannot help but command your entire attention when he’s on screen. Plus one of the final masterful (heh performances) of Philip Seymour Hoffman.

You also need to watch it understanding this is a 1:1 analog for L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology.

This relationship is dissected and observed in many ways throughout the film, but never as engrossingly as during Freddie’s “processing” scenes with Dodd. These sequences, based off the infamous “auditing” upon which Scientology is built, involve Dodd prying personal and psychological details from Freddie through a hypnotic interview process.

3 Likes

Are we up for another Friday 9PM movie?

Recommendations I see:

• The Master
  • Gangs of New York
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7
  • Hillbilly Elegy (probably hate watch)
  • The Plot Against the President (definitely hate watch)

Other suggestions and then do a poll?

2 Likes

I would take Hillbilly Elegy. This actually looks fantastic but could be a hate watch if you disagree.

I don’t think I would make it more than five minutes into Plot Against the President. I’ve tried to watch stuff like that and it’s such naked propaganda that if you’ve seen five seconds, you’ve seen five hours.

Thinking of a few others. We had discussed No Country for Old Men.

Hard pass on Hillbilly Elegy. I’ve seen No Country for Old Men like twice and read the book twice, but I could be down for that. The Master looks good too. Plot Against the President seems like a solid hatewatch given the community here.

Yeah I like No Country for Old Men, but we already had a watch party for it.

This poll is useless, just click the ones you like/would watch
  • Hillbilly Elegy
  • No Country for Old Men
  • The Master
  • Loving
  • Fruitvale Station
  • Fargo
  • Set It Off
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • The Overnight
  • Haywire
  • V for Vendetta
  • A Knight’s Tale
  • The Next Karate Kid
  • The One I Love
  • The Babysitter
  • Moneyball
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Next
  • Surviving R. Kelly
  • Searching…
  • The Edge of Seventeen

0 voters

This poll is also useless, just click the movies you like/would watch
    • The Wrong Missy
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • 20th Century Women
    • The Man of Tai Chi
    • Django Unchained
    • Blade Runner
    • Blade Runner 2049

0 voters

Most are available on Netflix or Prime. A few may need the Beetlejuice protocol.

lol, I watched Haywire for the first time a month ago, would watch again.

1 Like