so nothing has changed

Some would say itā€™s improved

DDL amazing and all, but Paul Dano steals the screen every time he speaks

lol good scene

after good scene

1 Like

LOL religion.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a thread here comparing sound tracks to laugh tracks, I always thought it was ridiculous. Oops.

Yā€™all gonna laugh at me, but I only now learned Paul Dano is playing two different characters. I thought he was adopting a different persona depending on whether he was alone with Daniel.

Ten grand? What is that like 2 billion in todayā€™s dollars?

1 Like

$263,018.18

Iā€™m pretty sure that is intentionally done.

1 Like

pfft

Offer him like 3x that and this movie is over roll credits ha

1 Like

Like I saw Dano meet Daniel and invite him home to ā€œdiscoverā€ their oilā€¦then extort the guy for $10k!

But now I see that the person who invited Daniel to their home was the extorters twin brother.

Probably obvious to everyone else. I just thought Danoā€™s two characters were one sociopath.

3 Likes

Spoiler discussion :eyes:

Summary

Itā€™s a damn shame to see the dynamic between Daniel and his adopted son and wonder what could have been if HW hadnā€™t gotten injured.

But as I watch it this time, I think their father/son relationship was always destined to end poorly. Itā€™s typical for sociopaths and narcissists like Daniel Plainview to have intensely positive and intimate relationships with their childrenā€“until theyā€™re no longer children.

While theyā€™re children, the kids function as an extension of the narcissist. In There Will Be Blood, that process was accelerated as soon as HW lost his hearing, but the seemingly functional dynamic between the two would have otherwise fallen apart as soon as HW hit puberty.

3 Likes