Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

Those 70s disaster movies were basically a genre unto themselves. The Poseidon Adventure was my personal fave but they were all good fun. There used to be a ride at Universal Orlando based on Earthquake

2 Likes

Poseidon Adventure GOAT. I canā€™t believe Wolfgang fucking Peterson made the 2006 remake. Or that I saw it in theaters :P

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen the remake but I canā€™t imagine it without Gene Hackman

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying the remake is any good, but it stars Kurt Russel.

1 Like

Itā€™s weird the things you recall from childhood. I know I saw Star Wars in the theater but I donā€™t specifically remember it. The earliest movie memory I have was my mom inexplicably taking me with her to see the ā€˜76 version of King Kong in 1977 (she used to drag me to everything). I know it was in ā€˜77, because the movie Rollercoaster came out that year, and it was playing in the theater next door. I donā€™t remember anything about that experience except her and others around us complaining about how loud the movie next door was, so loud that we couldnā€™t even hear the dialogue of the movie we were watching (not that we were missing much). It was super loud, like it shook the walls. Years later I found out they used some new fangled audio system with that film to try to give moviegoers the experience of being on the rollercoaster. They mention it on the Wiki page.

Anyhow thatā€™s another good 70s disaster flick. Timothy Bottoms played a fantastic psychopath in it.

1 Like

Sensurround!!! LOLOLOL. Did you get to see anything with those gimmicks? Iā€™ve heard about modern 4D screenings and they sound awful.

1 Like

Heh just Rollercoaster from a theater away. I saw the movie itself years later on VHS without the effect of course. It has some creepy ass theme music. At the time it sounded like the coaster was coming right down the theater aisles

Isnā€™t that strange how different it was in the theater? I never saw the old 3D movies, but I watch them at home now and think Jesus, the theatrical experience must have at least SEEMED better than this at the time.

1 Like

Itā€™s still on the Universal Hollywood tram tour

Oh cool I did have Die Hard in my stash. Figured I had to. Lets do this.

1 Like

Show him the watch (party thread).

1 Like

Risky, bubby, Iā€™m your white knight.

Hoping to get locked in within the hour. Itā€™s all chaos here at the DodgerIrish building.

This is in remembrance of Alan Rickman, bubby. I expect all hands on deck.

Episode of The Movies That Made Us ā€œDie Hardā€ is running

Here is Bruce Oppenheim (left)

without whom Cybil Shepherd (right) never would have gotten pregnant in the fourth season of Moonlighting, thus requiring the brief 11-week hiatus that allowed Bruce Willis time to film Die Hard. No Bruce Oppenheim=no pregnancy=no Bruce Willis. On behalf of one Bruce to another, thank you.

I remember in Scattergories with my parents I used him as an R for the villains category (Nottingham too!).

My parents didnā€™t accept it. It really makes no sense how Iā€™m from them.

1 Like

Are they still around? Itā€™s never too late to present a definitive TED Talk (thank you Zoom) on the subject.

I feel sad for people who donā€™t share an obsessive interest in film. Theyā€™re missing out

on the punchlines of all my jokes

They didnā€™t even know who he was.

No, my dad is dead. I think the Rickman argument did him in.

That, or all the vodka heā€™d sneak into his wine.

Even if just in his mind, I hope he took a second to reconsider.