Miami High Rise Collapse

I live in a 25 unit condo complex, and we just had our first annual meeting in 18 months because of COVID.

The same 3-4 people seem to rotate among the officers on the board, since no one else wants to serve.

If anything, our board is composed of mostly non-confrontational people, meaning they usually take longer than they should in dealing with noise, litter and parking nuisances.

Thankfully, parking and noise are city issues for us, not HOA issues, though I will usually still try to talk to the homeowner if thereā€™s an issue rather than having the complaining neighbor call the city about it. This has worked out pretty well for us. Weā€™ve had one incident that we couldnā€™t resolve that we finally told the homeowners involved to call the city to deal with it.

I donā€™t understand this part. Do people living in a hoa not also pay the exact same in property taxes as everyone else?

You either pay the HOA for things like lawn care and community services or you pay them yourself or to the municipality.

You donā€™t get a discount from the municipality if you have a HOA doing some of their work.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252487373.html

Lots of interesting stuff in this article including the below

Even still, experts agree that in general a building should not fall due to a single failure of a slab. But Aghayere said a review of the building plans, inspection reports and photos from the collapse shows a lack of necessary backstops.

ā€œIt doesnā€™t have structural integrity reinforcement,ā€ Aghayere said. ā€œBecause thereā€™s no structural integrity reinforcement if it falls, it just goes.ā€

Structural engineer and retired building inspector Gene Santiago said the part of the building that collapsed was lacking an adequate number of structural walls called ā€œshear wallsā€ that would have helped the building resist caving under lateral or twisting forces from an initial failure of a slab on a single floor.

ā€œThere doesnā€™t seem to be enough of them in the plans,ā€ he said. There were no shear walls in the east-west direction, he pointed out.

In general, experts agreed that the building, which was in the early 1980s, was not designed with the same level of redundancy as modern-day buildings.

Shear walls are like Structure 101. Even us dumb builders know how important they are.

Only time Iā€™ve personally seen buildings collapse (not my project), the framers went 3 stories high without installing the shear panels. Thunderstorm rolled in, and when it rolled out those buildings were 0.25 stories tall.

1 Like

I thought it was funny Chapo mentions how much cocaine was floating around Miami during the time of construction.

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1411088798008721410

Yep, and errrrrrbody gonna be looking now.

Maybe the Insoos of the world will try and provide better housing after this.

looool

7 Likes

Anybody know what the condo situation at Mar-a-Lago is?

3 Likes

I was never really afraid of heights until I slid down an icy roof in Breckenridge CO working roofing and breaking up ice dams on roofs. The climbing harness saved me about 6-10 feet from the ledge and since then I get vertigo sometimes. Yesterday went over a walking bridge that goes over a 6 lane highway and imagined it collapsing and got some vertigo lmao.

2 Likes

Does raise the question what the master builder in chief thinks about this. If he still had his presidency and Twitter he wouldnā€™t be shutting up about it or am I mistaken?

2 Likes

I have a hard time just looking up at tall buildings. When working on scaffolding, more than 3 levels was tough.

I just hope Ron DeSantis is brave enough to stand up for these peoplesā€™ right to die in a building collapse if they choose to remain in a dangerous structure.

2 Likes

I never had any issues being up on cliffs and frozen waterfalls, but put me on a ladder or a steep roof and my head starts spinning.

2 Likes

We had been drinking until bar close and smoked a blunt on the way there. Then just slipped on ice and slid holy hell. I went home for the day. If more buildings start collapsing Iā€™m only going to stay in 1 level places or camp.

1 Like

Not the right thread at all really but I was roommates with this guy Avi when I first moved to Breckenridge lmao. He was a moron.

There is no slower time than falling off a roof time.

My uncle was a general contractor who shattered both his ankles in a ladder fall. So I was helping him out by cleaning out his gutters. It didnā€™t occur to me that it was below freezing and I was spraying water all over the place. I stepped on some ice I had created on the roof, fell on my ass, then slid straight down to the top of my ladder, which was based on the bottom step of a set of stairs leading up to a platform at their back door.

My feet caught the top rung of the ladder as I went careening off the roof - about 1.5 stories up. I donā€™t know why - but I didnā€™t even try to grab the gutter, I just let it happen. The ladder pivoted out away from the house along with me. But the base of the ladder stayed on the top step. I eventually landed on the ladder, the top of which hit the ground ahead of me. But luckily the bottom end of the ladder was still suspended on the bottom step. So it had a lot of bounce in it, which cushioned a big amount of my fall.

I walked up to the back door rubbing my sore ass and wrist, to the wide-eyed stares of my uncle at the door in his wheelchair. He had heard the whole thing and knew exactly what was happening,

I had ages to ponder everything about my life until I finally bounced off that ladder.

5 Likes