Miami High Rise Collapse

Same. My buddy and his wife have a house in Florida. They were transferred for a year to Texas. While gone, their niece rented the house. Apparently their HOA was dropping off fine notices and their niece never opened the letters up. So my buddy got a call from the HOA saying these fines were due. So the niece opened the letters. They were being fined because their mailbox was dirty. Ended up paying over $500 for it. Said it was cheaper than getting a lawyer to fight it.

I was fined 2k because my roommate moved some furniture out on a weekend instead of a weekday. It was a second offense, the first one was $1000 which I talked the board down to $500.

I begged her not to so it. She was passed at me I paid instead of stiffing them.

How do you guys put up with this shit? Seriously? They are stealing your money. Dirty mailboxes? Moving on the weekend? FOH with that.

3 Likes

Yeah lol HOAs, I understand you canā€™t get around them with condos but there is no reason I can think of to ever own your own house but be governed by a HOA

Theyā€™re for the sort of people who jerk off to their homeā€™s imagined valuation and take it as their God-given right to have a high and ever-increasing one at everyone elseā€™s expense. Dirty mailbox? Thatā€™s driving down my homeā€™s imaginary value. YOU are hurting ME with that, so I get to fine YOU for that affront to my homeā€™s imaginary valuation.

1 Like

The only benefit of HOAs Iā€™ve ever seen is banning political signs in areas that would otherwise be littered w/ Trump flags and shit.

Iā€™m not sure how it would work without an HOA in something like my neighborhood that has some private streets and water retention ponds. Is there some legal way to get homeowners on the hook to maintain those community owned areas without an HOA?

Not everything has such exorbitant costs and it still would offset the cost 10% when accounting for interest.

All that says is they donā€™t assess high enough homeowner dues not that a reserve fund canā€™t work.

Again this is pretty universal for HAs.

Anyways it only came up because someone suggested that the brunt of cost should be spread out over the life and history of the building instead of being a game of musical chairs to get out before you get stuck with an assessment that costs 20% of the the value of the unit while someone who lived there the whole time it was deteriorating paid nothing.

Itā€™s all hypotheticals regardless.

I wonder what kind of disclosure is required when selling a condo in regards to anticipated assessments? Does anyone know?

Ultimately itā€™s up to the individual homeowners and their representatives as to how much they spend and how much they save. I still suggest many do it pretty wrong.

On a different note, was the 2018 report the first time anyone noted any problems with the building?

The x-files episode undercover in an HOA sounds about spot on.

1 Like

Have those things become public and paid for with local taxes?

This is ultimately a problem and a good microcosm on what is wrong with so much going on.

People definitely want it their way (thanks BK) but they donā€™t want to spend any time on it.

I have never served on a board or owned property w an HOA. But my dad did it essentially his entire life for many different properties and had long stints as president on several boards.

The drama is absurd for sure. Reminds me of this place a bit now that I think of it.

The biggest issue my dad had to deal with was a large condominium complex in Kauai, where most of the owners rented their property out by the night, and it was completely destroyed in hurricane Iniki. This was a beachfront complex of dozens of single story and double story buildings. Several hundred units in total. The devastation was insane as the entire beach front dramatically changed so it was not close to the same piece of property.

Ultimately it got rebuilt but it took forever, and the board issues were crazy. Since it was a direct revenue stream for most of the non resident owners things got quite contentious. I do wish my dad was still around because now I have some questions about that whole experience.

1 Like

What catface said, why are there private streets and ponds?

A lot of developments have private streets. It doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re blocked off or sporting ā€œNo Trespassingā€ signs.

Normally, it just means the road isnā€™t owned by the municipality, making the residents responsible for plowing and road maintenance.

I do Door Dash and one thing that cracks me up is when they give you the code to their gated community. Doesnā€™t that defeat the purpose? I can just come back in the middle of the night and rob someone. I mean isnā€™t that why you have the gated community to begin with? To keep the undesirables like me out? And I wonder how many people that donā€™t give their codes out are aware of their neighbors doing so for a $10 burger.

4 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/majority-of-florida-condo-board-quit-in-2019-as-squabbling-residents-dragged-out-plans-for-repairs/2021/06/30/43592282-d98e-11eb-ae62-2d07d7df83bd_story.html?itid=hp-top-table-main

I wasnā€™t able to read the whole thing because of paywall

Itā€™s kind of like the TSA where itā€™s more security theatre than actual security.

Someoneā€™s gonna get raped this way and it will be a big scandal and then no more door codes.

I think of gated communities as voluntary concentration camps for the excessively paranoid.

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine my city, or any city really, taking on that burden.

City requires any new development to capture the water that would have normally been absorbed by the barren ground that is now covered by a house and return it to Puget sound. All of my developmentā€™s gutters are plumbed underground into the retention pond where it will then make it back to the sound.

The private streets are very small spurs off the city street. Theyā€™re not really streets but access to some of the homes (5 total), and we own them.

Not really sure how you approach the city and tell them ā€œwe donā€™t want the HOA to own or maintain these, so you do itā€.