Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I just saw Tanaka got rocked by a Stanton line drive. It didn’t look like batting practice but a simulated game. Do they not use protective nets for that? I woulda thought if you have a pitcher throwing stuff to try and get a batter out the ball could go anywhere vs a pitcher serving them up and the batter able to place it where they want.

I read that he had the option to use the screen but didn’t want to.

https://www.mlb.com/schedule/2020-07-23

Very quirky. Los of variance in teams schedules. I suspect Vegas will only be offering 500$ limits on season totals.

Yea I don’t how MLB is gonna do this. Florida is basically overwhelmed right now and you got the Blue Jays playing in Tampa in 2 weeks. Yea OK.

Then you got the Diamondbacks playing in LA, SD, and Arlington before going home in Phoenix.

It’s just a giant shit show that’s doomed to fail before it begins.

I don’t get it either. And now ESPN is keeping a running list of players who are opting out

Cliffs: there are 8 players on the list right now

Yeah, by every measure, this schedule is brain dead. They had a blank canvas… and pooped on it. Does anyone hate baseball more than the MLB owners?

Also… WTF about hardly any non-Sunday day games? That, and starting all the PDT games before 7pm. With no fans in the stands, and nothing else sports on tv, you’d think they’d want to saturate the airwaves.

Also, also… I’m non too impressed with the $74 2021 credit -or- 2020 refund offer on the originally $121 mlb.tv. I think 2021 free -or- 100% refund would have been far more appropriate after holding everyone’s $$$ for four months. And/or lifting the stupid blackout rules for the 2020 season.

1 Like

Pretty sure Trout will join that list. His wife is expecting a child in August.

Trying to go with a some kind of bubble like the NHL is going to attempt would have been a much better plan.

All these teams flying everywhere is going to be a disaster.

uh huh
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1280595721260056581?s=20

1 Like

Yeah but with him you can’t be sure he’s just trolling all his racist buddies.

I’m joking, but, I mean, if anyone, him. Such an underappreciated troll.

Nah, he’s serious.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Good for him. He’s one of the biggest stars in the game. Hopefully this spurs a whole round of opt outs to put this absurd idea of a 60 game season in the trash where it belongs.

6 Likes

Agree 100%. Also, my read on the Trout decision based on his body language a couple of days back is he’ll be the next domino to fall. I don’t think he’s gonna want to play given his current family status.

I like how MLB put out the 2021 schedule just three days after the new 2020 schedule (surprise: It’s west-west, central-central, east-east again for cross-conference games).

Like dream on either one of these seasons being played as scheduled, or even played full stop for that matter.

Let’s see, of the traditional big-4 + MLS + FBS… MLS has actually started their restart tourney in a bubble, and have had two teams quit already because of covid; the NHL restarts today with their tourney in a double bubble; the NBA restarts their season July 30 in a bubble; the NFL has already cancelled 3 of 5 weeks of exhibition games; FCS teams are cancelling already, which has already effected the FBS schedule.

And… MLB says they are going to play 3 more exhibition games before the July 23 restart. I gotta figure starting July 19… in just nine days.

Force feeding the DH on the NL in the middle of all this was a classy move as well

1 Like

grrrrrrrr

NL DH has been an inevitability for a while now.

1 Like

Better idea - hitting for the pitcher is a randomly selected fan.

1 Like

People that stan for the DH are weird. You mean you like some shitty ass pitcher at the plate with bases loaded 2 outs?

2 Likes