Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I mean, he’s one of less than 100 pitchers in the Hall, so… yeah, hes pretty famous, but yes I wouldnt call him a household name.

2 Likes

I don’t get the logic though. No one “figured out” Rivera’s pitch in over a decade. It’s not like if a batter had two chances at it in the same game he would magically crack the physics behind it.

I get the stamina part, but surely that can be solved with some training. Why would you take 25 almost unhittable pitches rather than 75. It’s like having a dude with an unstoppable crossover but only put him in the game if it’s tied and it’s the last possession

(Clearly i’m wrong, i just don’t quite get why)

1 Like

as a corollary to what BruceZ posted, if you have a guy who only has a smoking fastball, usually you don’t want him in there for more than an inning or two, because he’ll just destroy his arm sooner rather than later. It’s why Aroldis Chapman, for example, is a closer. Of course, on the other end of that is our elusive 3rd answer to Tabbaker’s question, who had, well, NOT a fastball.

You aren’t facing Rivera’s fastball, or Nen’s slider every game. Hell, you might not see him for months at a time. However, if he’s someone on a divisional rival, then you are guaranteed to see their starting pitcher multiple times for multiple innings through the course of several weeks.

Just think how rare it is for closers to get 1000 innings in their career. Its fairly trivial for a decent pitcher to get 1000 innings in 6 years. The sheer numbers just add up that you dont see a closer very often.

I got a bit thrown off by the “real tough one” part. I was trying to think of short career Dan Quisenberry types.

I was just going to guess Dan Quisenberry after the “well, not a fastball” clue.

Because that fastball is easier to hit the tenth time you see it on the same night vs the third. You have the benefit of trial and error. You swung a bit too early on this pitch and too late on that. Eventually, you figure out the just right moment to swing. You have to start the same process over if you see him next month.

Imagine a basketball player who can only go left. You defend him normally the first few times, but eventually figure it out and can adjust to his tendencies.

Heres a good example. The player with the most number of AB’s against Rivera was David Ortiz with 29.

In comparison, his highest number of AB’s against a starting pitcher is 93 vs. Roy Halladay

But a starting pitcher pitches every 5 games. you aren’t that likely to see the same pitcher more than a couple time a season at most, no?

Weird to me that you can’t analyze and simulate a pitch and practice hitting it.

The 3rd pitcher is a reliever from the 50s-70s

Here’s a hint.

The final answer to Tabbaker’s question has a “stat”/something in common with Aaron Judge :wink:

1 Like

If CanadaMatt didn’t give it away, you have no chance at this.

I agree, I think skydiver’s point that closer’s pitches are more physically dominant but only sustainable in short stretches is the better explanation. If they have to pitch more innings to be a starter then they have a combination of a) intentionally holding back a touch to avoid injury/fatigue b) fatigue and c) injury (physics says the human arm SHOULD get injured throwing a ton of nasty pitches at max effort).

Like even Riveria’s cutter, maybe he if has to go 6 innings then he loses a touch of spin and speed on the pitch and that makes all the difference.

And usually pitchers are given a chance to start first then put in relief if they fail at that. So even if Rivera developed into legitimate dominance that would work throwing cutters all day as a starter, the assumption will be that his dominance applies in relief only… cuz he has already been given a chance as a starter and failed… so getting an awesome closer out of that situation is a big win, don’t be greedy…

Hoyt Wilhelm? He’s a HOFer and pitched a bazillion years.

3 Likes

I looked it up. Damn good trivia question.

Nope, you need to put in more work than that!

Warren Spahn was my guess before the reliever hint.

Phil Niekro? Just guessing based on random hints.

Goose Gossage?

Tabbaker seems to have gone to sleep but it’s Hoyt Wilhelm.

the thing he has in common with Aaron Judge: HR on first major league at bat.