Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Manoah is interesting. He has relatively few innings in the minors before he made his way to the majors. He dominated in the few innings he pitched at every level and the Jays basically got him to the majors before his arm could fall off. Did great for a year and a half and now he sucks.

1 Like

There was a guy in a summer course I was teaching years ago who was a top 10 pick and played minor league baseball for a decade before coming back to finish the degree. Dude was quiet, always showed up, got high grades and I would have never guessed he was a ball player. I remember him saying he was behind Torii Hunter in the Twins org at one point and basically had no chance, because like how are you gonna leapfrog Torii Hunter? But the other thing he said that I’ll never forget is the chronic pain and numbness he had every morning waking up. Said most days he couldn’t feel his hands.

1 Like

Chad Green? He was briefly in AAA ball for the Twins system while Hunter was starting for the Minnesota Twins. Played 9 seasons across a 10 year span. Drafted 8th overall.

Sad that he couldn’t feel his hands at such a young age though.

ARod >>> The Kid

Yeah that’s him. I took it more like the toll of grinding professional baseball every day for ten years and what that feels like waking up every morning while trying to stay motivated. Dunno that it was permanent damage, at least I hope not. This was in the context of a discussion about deciding whether to continue playing baseball or not.

https://twitter.com/DaWink33/status/1662472275273162752/

2 Likes

When I was a teenager, sometimes in blowouts they’d let me take the mound and throw my eephuses for an inning

One time I faced 6 batters: 3 walks and 3 strikeouts

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1662466782274244608

Wtf - video of those high strikes? Based on the chart they look almost head level.

In Yuv’s video a few posts above mine.

1 Like

Isnt one of the cardinal sins of umpiring calling the pitch where its caught instead of where its crossing the plate? Because thats absolutely whats happening there

2 Likes

The A’s are shockingly not the worst performing offensive team in the league, although they have allowed almost double the amount of runs as the team in 30th place in runs scored.

Which team has scored less runs?

I guessed Royals and was way off, and very surprised by the correct answer.

Same here. I knew they werent a great offensive team, but less runs than the As is a huge black mark for a team

Their mascot denotes defense, not offense!

2 Likes

Yeah, they should never have changed their much more offensive name

1 Like

On a per game basis, the A’s are far behind everyone else, including the two teams below them in total runs

And on top of that, the gap is even bigger when it comes to expected runs per game

Padres had fewer runs than A’s whenever it was that I checked. Pads and Guards