Major League Baseball (Part 1)

2022 1-6

For 2022, only games Sabo the dog actually attends will count as official for Sabo’s Dog Day Championship. MiLB games will continue to count for their MLB organizations. ~ the Competition Committee

After the 2021 season, where 100s of covid attendance restricted games were ‘envisioned’ as official, 2022 promises to be a much shorter season indeed. So far, Sabo has attended six pro games…

• April 18: Reds 1 @ Sabo’s Padres 4 . This was Sabo’s 57th game… but his first since 2019. It was also his 20th game at Petco Park. As the schedule now stands, this was a double-elimination game, so the Reds were eliminated.

• May 14: Phillies 8 @ Dodgers 3 . This was the sixth game at Dodger Stadium for Sabo. Dogs were allowed to circle the field before the game. It was also a double-elimination game, so the Dodgers were eliminated. In addition, as the Phillies now had the tie-breaker, the yet to play A’s and Mariners were also eliminated.

• May 22: Las Vegas Aviators 4 (AAA A’s) @ Reno Aces 5 (D’backs): This was the first game of Sabo’s 16th overnight baseball road trip. It was also his first visit to Reno’s Greater Nevada Field… his 21st professional stadium.

• May 25: Salt Lake Bees 4 (AAA Angels) @ Sacramento River Cats 1 (Giants). West Sacramento’s Sutter Health Park was Sabo’s 22nd pro stadium. The defending SDDC champion Giants were eliminated, as well as the Phillies.

• May 26: San Jose Giants 3 (A Giants) 3 @ Modesto Nuts 9 (Mariners). The finale of our road trip was Modesto’s Thurmond Field… Sabo’s 23rd stadium. In a unique twist, after the game dogs were allowed on the field leash-free. Sabo, of course, was the first dog to ever figure how to run off the field… but he came running back too. He’s a good guy !!!1!

• June 15: Inland Empire 66ers 3 (A Angels) @ Rancho Cucamonga Quakes 8 (Dodgers). FYI: before this game, I actually went to a game w/o Sabo. I took the train to see my Red Sox beat the Angels on June 7th. The rest of the month of June is dedicated to taking Sabo to the three MiLB stadiums in LA’s Inland Empire on three consecutive Wednesdays . First up was Sabo’s fourth visit to Rancho Cucamonga’s LoanMart Field (aka The Epicenter) for his 62nd game.

Previous Champions
1978. San Diego
1992. Minnesota
2004. Pittsburgh
2005. Chicago Cubs
2006. Chicago White Sox
2007. Chicago White Sox
2008. Chicago White Sox
2009. Chicago White Sox
2012. San Diego
2013. San Diego
2014. Chicago White Sox
2015. St.Louis
2016. Texas
2017. Cincinnati
2018. Los Angeles Dodgers
2019. Los Angeles Dodgers
2020. Los Angeles Dodgers
2021. San Francisco

2022 SDDC Standings
Through June 15th…

1. Sabo’s Padres , D’backs , Mariners -x, Phillies -x 1-0 1.000 –
5. Angels, Dodgers -x 1-1 ,500 ½
7. Reds -x, A’s -x 0-1 .000 1
9. Giants -x 0-2 .000 1½

x: eliminated. Source: Captains, the official site of All-Star Sabo-Metrics.

6 Likes

Goat show in Seattle tonight. I just watched Suarez hit a ball 107 mph at 45 degrees and it didn’t even reach the warning track.

When I saw a leak of the cap, I didn’t have high expectations, but for a goofy one-off-type uniform, I like them:

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1537748639942164482

https://twitter.com/BryanJDee/status/1537746720204914688

The baseball/grill logo is kind of cool in silly way. I like it.

1 Like

I normally hate all symbolism and crap teams try to jam into uniforms (this represents that, that represents this, etc.), but I like this from the article on the Brewers’ website: “The jersey features yellow and white piping along the side to represent a foaming beer.”

Is it super cynical of me to see these city connect uniforms as a merch money grab?

Oh for sure they are. All the alternate uniforms are. Might as well make them good, though.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s all an exercise in selling cloth.

However, two trends are working against. First, they might have reached a point where they are cannibalizing their own product lines. Remember NFL Color Rush? That was discontinued as a league wide promotion after the 2017 season.

Second, we’re about to see advertising on MLB unis. This is a done deal BTW. The future isn’t City Connect, it’s Nascar, This will be the new Card’s Jersey…

1 Like

That isn’t an actual mock up, right? Or is that a Nascar uniform?

Thats fucking hideous

Yeah, that’s official NASCAR gear.

I’m sure MLB, at first at least, will be more subtle. Perhaps something along the lines of the advertising the umps have been wearing for about a year now.

Yeah, the NHL has opened the door on jersey advertising and so far it is suitably subtle. They are sticking with smaller ads on helmets so far, and it doesn’t really change the way that things look. While watching a game you don’t even really notice it. Like this is a highly visible ad but it’s not “jarring” in the way of NASCAR ads.

Korean and Japanese baseball teams have been doing that for ages. Hell, so have European soccer leagues.

I’m actually kind of amazed it has yet to happen to American sports teams.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: National Basketball Association - GSW Champs Edition

Home run for those stats is 50/50 according to these guys

Too High

So the red sox pitcher today is called Kutter Crawford.

Maybe he’s a knuckleballer so it’s not a case of nominative determinism. ETA: Nope, dude throws a cutter, what a world.

1 Like

Probably retiring.

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1538219564323962890?t=sljcKEQGoZQ64gEHjzMygQ&s=19

nice of them to let him hit 10 years first

Definitely sounds like he’s retiring. Not a big surprise, as he has been talking like this could be his final season. Great player, good dude.

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1538219818146574337?t=2b9-hMwxZkx-7PkR7Zp9-g&s=19