Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I’m neither a Red Sox fan nor an Ortiz stan, but I’m curious why you believe he juiced? Was he ever associated with BALCO or other pushers?

He was named as having failed a test in 2003. The results were supposed to be anonymous but they were leaked. He had some bs explanation for why it wasn’t steroids that caused the positive.

Plus, the fact he went from mediocre with the Twins to MVP caliber in his 30s with the Sox.

1 Like

That was just the flax seed oil.

2 Likes

If you cut Ortiz open all you’d find is beans and rice

Shit ain’t lookin’ good.

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/1491108157795438592

2 Likes

Boo. Loved him his two years with the Braves.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1491558469635350536

1 Like

Supposedly suicide, tough to hear about. Really liked those early 2000s A’s teams.

https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1491812535884001286

1 Like

Not sure what “by a primary pitcher” means, but I suspect a pitcher is going to hit a HR at some point again. There are circumstances - I forget exactly what they are - where a team can lose their DH in a game. Or you might still have a Bumgarner type that a manager decides to, or needs to, (i.e. to save an emergency catcher as the last man on the bench) send up to the plate. Although I don’t know how you identify your good-hitting pitchers anymore, so maybe the PH scenario won’t happen.

Edit: And not sure how Ohtani is accounted for in this.

/nit

Yeah it sounded like bullshit to me too but as a Giants fan I’ll still take it.

2 Likes

I assume primary pitcher means a pitcher that is not also DHing (which will just be Ohtani). Would also exclude pitchers as PH, since they are not actually pitching. Doubt we’ll ever see pitcher PH again - really only happened in the NL since not many PH opportunities in the AL.

You lose the DH if he moves to the field. There might be some other weird way, but that is the main one.

One of my favorite images is the Baseball Reference leaderboard for single season WAR.

2 Likes

You could DH for a shortstop if you want right? The Angels should pick up some defensive wizard that can’t hit and play him when Ohtani pitches.

Nope, just the pitcher

(a) The Designated Hitter Rule provides as follows:

(1) A hitter may be designated to bat for the starting pitcher and all subsequent pitchers in any game without otherwise affecting the status of the pitcher(s) in the game. A Designated Hitter for the pitcher, if any, must be selected prior to the game and must be included in the lineup cards presented to the Umpire-in-Chief. If a manager lists 10 players in his team’s lineup card, but fails to indicate one as the Designated Hitter, and an umpire or either manager (or designee of either manager who presents his team’s lineup card) notices the error before the umpire-in-chief calls “Play” to start the game, the umpire-in-chief shall direct the manager who had made the omission to designate which of the nine players, other than the pitcher, will be the Designated Hitter.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure there’s another way, so it won’t be the last one forever but might take some time.

So it turns out that Matt Harvey, noted clubhouse cancer, was abusing cocaine and opioids.

I’ve always thought that Matt Harvey was what would have happened to Nuke LaLoosh if he never met Crash Davis.

I’m ready for baseball!

You gonna bring the bats? I’ll bring a baseball.

1 Like