Major League Baseball (Part 1)

The early 2010s Giants were like this all the time, our announcers used to call it torture.

It seems like a pretty open secret, but then once he signed with Angels, everyone stopped talking about it. I remember thinking it was an especially terrible contract for that reason.

every season with the angels is below his career batting average was a stat I was like wut

Torture was a really brilliant marketing concept. And it was pretty true. I think the number of games lost or won by one run or where there was a lead change in the 8th or later innings was one of the highest all time.

Without looking I’m guessing Padres hold the record.

1 Like

day gambling day went up in expansive flames thanks to Nathan Eovaldi.

Meanwhile in Anaheim, the league HR leader is a guy who pitched 5 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 7 strikeouts yestersay

And he’s 2nd on his team in WAR. And that team is 4 games under 500.

Well now they’ve gotten rid of that damn Pujols who was dragging them down and should be able to make it to 3rd in the AL West.

1 Like

It must be frustrating to be a fan of the Anaheim Los Angeles Angels of Southern California or whatever they’re called now. They have the two most exciting players in baseball IMO but they still suck.

2 Likes

The upside of Pujols getting abruptly cut is we don’t have to suffer through a Jeter-esque retirement tour. I guess it’s possible some team signs him, but seems doubtful as he’s terrible and can’t be a box office draw without fans.

He’s 100% ending up with the White Sox, right? LaRussa is desperate and they’ll build a big “Tony R will use his wisdom to bring back the old Pujols and save our season!” narrative.

They have a DH who’s playing great and is better than Pujols in every way imaginable.

So, yes, totally going to the White Sox.

3 Likes

I expect La Russa to lash out with desperate attempts to prove the game hasn’t passed him by. Pujols can catch.

I get dunking on Jetes but MLB needs more of these tours, not less. Nostalgia is a big part of the game and you want to hook young fans. Quietly releasing a future Hall of Famer is not the way to do it.

I’m fine with teams honoring stars and do agree that the Angels did this wrong. I wouldn’t object to the Cardinals having a Pujols-night. It just has gotten a bit over the top when every team feels the need to have a ceremony to honor a retiring star.

Except to Angels fans, he was never a star. Put him on your favorite team and burn $240 in payroll, then see if you want to give him a fond farewell.
He got the Chone Figgins send off he earned

Speaking of former stars, watching miggy cabrera play is amazing. I thing we both have the same odds of getting on base

Cards should sign him for a day, make him honorary captain, then have him announce his retirement afterwards.

$3 “freeroll” (you get $3 back minimum no matter what) tournament on DK today if you’re quick

https://www.draftkings.com/draft/entry/2670118714

He should have retired like 8 years ago.