Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Jack Morris would have won both those games 9-7. It is known.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JayCat11/status/1380963923688615942?s=19

I’m kind of surprised that Degrom is already 32. Then I noticed he didn’t make the majors until age 26. Seems kind of old for someone so talented.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/04/09/jacob-degrom-bad-luck-mets

This article from yesterday aged pretty poorly haha

I can’t see anything other than Jizz Chasholm.

2 Likes

Lol beat me too it.

1 Like

Not a Barves fan, but they got robbed last night. What’s the point of instant replay if you won’t overturn bad calls?

Brady Singer’s strikeout of Fletcher to open the game. :heart: fell behind 2-0, then 3 strikes looking

And just K’ed Trout after almost picking Ohtani off 1st. lol then he did just now to end the inning. Goat recognize

And then what happened?

1 Like

My only thought on this was does MLB replay work like the NFL, where if there replay isn’t 100% clear you don’t overturn the call on the field? This seems like one of those cases where it’s possible to be about 95% he didn’t touch but if you can’t physically see the space between his foot and the plate, even though if you interpolated there’s probably space, it stands as called?. His toe is close enough to the plate at the end when he pops up that I can’t say with 100% certainty that he missed it, but he probably did.

Those cases are pretty rare, even in the NFL where there may not be a great shot at what’s going during a pileup or something, but they do happen.

Yeah MLB requires conclusive evidence to overturn

Lines in the NFL and bases in MLB should have technology to automatically light up when there is a score or whatever. The leagues certainly have the money to develop the technology.

There’s too many variables in play for that I think Technology could probably handle bang bang plays at first or did the ball cross the goal line. But what about did the tip of the ball cross the white before his knee was down while he was stretching? Did the tip of Bohm’s cleat catch the edge of the plate as he popped up and spun around? We have replay for those, but even in this case it was so dang close that while we can say he probably missed the bag, you don’t have a camera angle showing it conclusively.

Generally speaking technology is good at doing things within defined limits repeatedly with high precision and consistency. You want to use it for things that happen frequently and you want to be precise and accurate. The in/out on the tennis serve is a perfect example. Strike zone would be another one, and at this point I’m all for it. But for things with wide boundary conditions and lots of inputs, the human brain is still remarkably efficient. It’s why we can drive cars but computers can’t (yet). Tag plays in baseball probably fall into that group too.

1 Like

I think there’s also something to the argument that the big leagues and your weekend slow-pitch should be playing with approximately the same technology and rules. The more bells and whistles we add to MLB, the less it remains the same game the rest of us chumps grow up playing.

Give me light up bases and home run laser shows kthxbai.

I’ve been waiting for Rock n Jock softball to return.

Which team are Dean Cain and Dan Corteze going to be on?

lol astros got pozzed

3 Likes

Starting second baseman Jose Altuve, third baseman Alex Bregman, designated hitter Yordan Alvarez, catcher Martin Maldonado and reserve infielder Robel Garcia all are on the injured list.

You hate to see it.

Don’t look now, Red Sox have one nine straight!