Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I hate Bauer but good lord he’s doing exactly what MLB players should do. If he gets hurt, he gets paid. If he sucks, he gets paid. If he’s elite, he gets to opt out and make even more money. How is he the first guy to figure this out?

? some guys sign for 10 years when everyone knows they’re washed up well before the end of the contract

I’m a casual fan, what has this guy done exactly to get over 40 million for 2 seasons? When the Yankees were vaguely interested in him I thought 5-6 year contract but at least a few mill per year under Cole.

Well yea, but that’s their final contract. After he opts out, he’ll probably score a $300+ million contract.

Bauer won the NL Cy Young Award in 2020.

he’s too much of a pain for anyone to do that, also he won’t win the cy every year ya know, he’ll regress at some point.

Bauer has a higher salary than 7 mlb teams payroll

Aint no one Cy Young in a 50 game season worth 40 million a year. Bauer career stats:

• W-L 75-64
  • ERA 3.90
  • K 1279
  • WHIP 1.26

If this guy gets 40 mill a year deGrom should get 55

Dodgers print money. They don’t GAF.

1 Like

Also 2020 he played just the NL and AL centrals. Both divisions sucked.

Pads fan looking for action on this. Friendlyish size wagers.

I’ll take Pads for the team series or division placing or both.

@jmakin

His agent is a pretty fun twitter follow on her own:

https://twitter.com/AgentRachelLuba/status/1333840650131755009?s=20

also great at making us all feel like inadequate lazy do-nothings, I guess.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/sdutKevinAcee/status/1362213847113732096

629 career plate appearances. :eyes:

2 Likes

I can’t think of many ultra long contracts that work out well for the team. Big gamble.

I mean if he’s the face of MLB for the next 10 years, it’s a good contract. But like it was mentioned, he has 600 plate appearances.

How many people have been as good as Tatis at that young an age though? Those 600 games have been MVP level and he’s just 22. It’s not like it was a fluke either as he was seen as one of the elite prospects.

Obviously huge risk if he gets injured, but if he even plays at All-Star level from here on out, it’s a huge discount.

I think it’s also unfair to compare this to prior FA long contracts, which don’t usually pan out. I’d much rather bet $300 million on a 22 YO Tatis than on say a 27 YO Machado or even worse Harper. In general, signing your own players to long deals early in their careers has typically worked pretty well - this contract is just the first time they’ve really taken it to the extreme.

Agree with this. With the crazy salary inflation that will no doubt come for some reason, Tatis won’t be viewed as a disaster in the last 5 or so years even if he puts up 100 OPS+ type numbers during that span. $24m-ish of what could be a tax level $250m+ won’t be horrendous.

It’s hard to say a 22 yo locking up 1/3 of a billion dollars is a bad deal, but this could actually end up severely limiting Tatis’ career earning potential.

I will be 61 years old when this contract expires. That’s a sobering thought.

3 Likes

As a Yankees fan, I never really liked that Johnny Damon joined them, especially after he hit two HRs in game 7 of the ‘04 ALCS to get the Sox all the way back.

Well today he got a DUI with a BAC higher than his career batting average. That ‘04 Sox team has so much to dislike it’s tough to pick from.

https://twitter.com/nydailynews/status/1362796622384660480?s=21