LOL REALTORS

That’s great. That feature alone seems like it should be worth $$$. Maybe it’s just me. I hate boats.

1 Like

The Sunday Ballard farmers market is worth the visit. We’re down in Olympia and plan on going back when the weather warms.

1 Like

I always found the ferry rides pretty chill, but also, you can get from Bainbridge to Seattle with just a car if you want to drive a while.

Ballard is a great place to end up tho.

1 Like

I commuted from bainbridge to the children’s hospital area for multiple years and it was the worst commute ever. The ferry ride for sure helped reduce the stress though.

2 Likes

I understand not liking boats but I quite enjoy the ferry. However, I’ve only used them for recreation and never depended on them. It probably wouldn’t take long for that to flip, especially if any medical issues pop up. I could really get into hopping on the ferry and giving myself a little 30 minute resetting while watching the city come/go.

I actually have been to it before but not in a few years! We moved closer to Greenwood and parking really sucks on Sunday’s in downtown Ballard, so we never go.

That commute sounds rough. I like this method of ranking the brutality of a commute by how many waterways you travel:

• 0 - Excellent
  • 1 - Good
  • 2 - Sucks
  • 3+ - Unbearable

Over the long-term, any commute with 2 or more water crossings is going to have moments that really suck. Not all of them, but definitely some days and I don’t think it’s sustainable.

1 long ferry commute would be awesome. Even better than train commute. Fucking love ferries! I grew up on an island and love island hopping on ferries. Stop knocking ferries!

The problem is that it is seldom just a ferry commute. Normally it is

1. Transportation from home to ferry
  2. Ferry
  3. Transportation from ferry to work

If 1&3 were a 5 min walk or less, then ferries are much better and the only problem is that you are limited by the rigidity of the ferry schedule.

I thought my post was mostly in support of, other than my intrusive, anxious doom-casting of a medical event. KSR’s commute included the ferry passage plus another ~20 minutes in no traffic to the hospital, which crosses another body of water nudging it into the 2 waterway category. Driving would be a 3 bridge commute making it miserable most days.

You need CalMac ferries. Drive on, drive off.
This is a small one:

you guys are wild

Washington ferries are drive on drive off. Unfortunately you drive off into downtown Seattle which can be a complete disaster.

When I was vacationing in BC, I tried to drive on to a ferry, but I didn’t have a reservation and they didn’t have room, so I had to wait an hour for a next one.

I’m sure this largely contributes to my hatred of ferries.

The ride itself was very pleasant. I can’t deny that.

I’ve yet to interact with a single realtor who didn’t lie to my face.

Cannot possibly be true there are places in America where townhouses are $4 million? Seems suspect

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427923&newpost=7784602

Well, the listing calls this a townhome, for what it’s worth:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2159-15th-St-San-Francisco-CA-94114/2054876445_zpid/

Why are there so many serious responses to all of the humble brag mfers on there?

1 Like

Closed today, keys in hand! It is a really amazing house.

Admittedly things are feeling a little anticlimactic because my partner is on a work trip until Wednesday. BUT I already dropped off a few boxes and some dirty laundry, so I’m going to call it good. I can’t get much moving done while partner is out of town

15 Likes

Congratulations!! The home buying process has been pretty depressing for me so far so it’s genuinely nice to hear stories like yours. Sounds like everything worked out great!

1 Like

Welcome to lucky ducky land. DM me for the champagne brunch details.

1 Like

It’s still kinda depressing since I’m nowhere close to moved in! There have been a few glimmers of joy in the process, but that’s a whole other mountain to climb.

At least once you get to the other side there is a champagne.

1 Like